Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation
rugbyrene2
Follower
Follower

Hi all,

New to the forum so apologies if this has been asked before.

I recently bought an Arlo Ultra 3 camera pack to replace my older Arlo wireless cameras. they awre all set-up without issue and detected motion & recorded videos. Recently (in the last week or so) I've noticved that the cameras aren't detecting any motion, even when I'm walking directly infornt of them. Thsi morning my wife fed our 2 dogs and the camera didn't detect anything. quite a worry for a securioty camera.

I've gone to the support page and verfiied that my cameras are placed correctly. My wifi is strong (I've setup a mesh network, and the base station is placed central to all the cameras. My house isn't huge so the cameras aren't far away and have strong signal strength.

So I'm hoping the community will have some ideas or have sufferred the same issues as me.

Thanks in advance.

Rene

10 REPLIES 10
brh
Master
Master

@rugbyrene2,

First verify on the Devices page that the motion detection icon is turning amber when motion is detected. If so, try this as I had this problem once before on 3 of my 6 Ultras. I think the firmware for these cameras got messed up.

1) Remove the camera from the account. 

2) Power cycle the hub.

3) Re-install the camera.

Do this in the above order for each camera.

If the motion icon is not turning amber on motion detection, that is a different problem.

Brian

User0002
Guide
Guide
I also have this problem. After the initial installation the motion detection was fine and now it is not. I’ve tried removing and reinstalling, but this did not solve the problem. I am unable to find a solution.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

User0002,

Can you provide more details about your setup?

Does it happen on all cameras or just a specific camera? Are you using a custom mode or the default Armed mode? Are you able to live stream and record manually?

JamesC

StNick
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am experiencing the same problem as the rugbyrene2, almost to the letter.  I bought the 3 camera Ultra kit and one of my cameras stopped detecting motion despite appearing "active" in MyArlo.  A very frustrating call with Arlo support (where they attempted to tell me that my camera was mounted too high) resulted in power cycling the camera and it appeared to perform as normal thereafter.  This morning, my wife and kids left for school, walking directly underneath the camera and I was not alerted.  I am at the office, so I cannot go and power-cycle it but I am pretty sure it has "locked up" once again.

These problems have left me with zero faith in this product to reliably protect my home and notify me of intruders.

StNick
Aspirant
Aspirant

To proactively answer potential questions....

• I am using the default armed mode.
  • My problem has only happened on one of my three cameras; twice now.
  • I am currently able to live stream and record.

I cannot prove it (yet), but I suspect that this issue is somehow related to whether or not there is an SD card in the device.  The first time I had the problem and I logged a case, I was using an SD card.  I have since realised that my SD card was greatly under-rated for 4k recording.  I have been using the cameras without an SD card now while I waited for delivery of my new, faster card and I have not had the issue.  Yesterday I installed my new
SANDISK High Endurance U3 V30 SD card rated for 40MB/sec writes.  This should be MORE than sufficient to record 4k from all three cameras simultaneously.  But is it just a coincidence that this problem has happened again?

I will have to do more testing tonight as I simply cannot do anything else remotely.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

StNick,

A quick and easy test if it's happening to only one camera is to swap that camera with one of your others and see if the problem occurs on both cameras. This will provide some more understanding if it's specific to the device or it's location.

JamesC

DrewP
Aspirant
Aspirant
Am having the exact same issue (along with several others mentioned in other posts). Have reset base station, set my cameras offline then on, set to simply "armed", no schedule, no geofencing and I am doing no local recording on an SD card, so doubt it's that either. I have a strong signal on the 2 cameras I have installed currently.

I have removed activity zones (which I need to work), which didnt help either, etc. etc.

The software is so unreliable a the moment that it's hardly a security device a moment and just some junky $800 quircky gimmick at the moment.

Massively disappointed.
billdxbb
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm having the same issue (motion not working).  I've taken the camera down and set it within 5 feet of the base station yet the motion detention setup test does not work nor does it detection motion and record.  base station firm ware says 1.15.0.4_297.... camera firmware says 1.070.50.2_205.....

I've been having so many issues since I switched to ultra camera's.   

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

billdxbb,

If the camera is not detecting motion even when using the motion detection test feature, please contact the Arlo Support Team to further investigate this issue. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link.

JamesC

BCBC
Aspirant
Aspirant
Agree with the posts here. Doesn’t record motion reliably. Could possibly be useful as an ultra expensive paper weight.
Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation