Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
JCorcoran
Aspirant
Aspirant
So, as I understand it, the Arlo Ultra cameras have a motion detection range of up to 25 feet. Also, my assumption is that the cameras do not begin to transmit video to the hub until the motion sensors have sensed motion (in the armed mode and not live streaming). If this is true, then attempting to use these cameras to alert me when motion occurs anywhere on an acre of land is not going to work feasibly with just a camera or two. Now, however, as I understand it, Arlo Smart has software algorithms that provide person/animal/vehicle detection features and cloud activity zones. The questions then become:
1) Does the camera motion sensor detection range become irrelevant when employing Arlo Smart detection capabilities?
2) Must the camera essentially live-stream to the Arli Smart software algorithms in order to provide the detection capabilities?
3) Does defining an Activity Zone become "physical distance irrelevant" because the software algorithms aren't concerned with how far away the Acticity Zone is?
4) Or, are Activity Zones and Arlo Smart detection capabilities effectively limited to only as far away as the physical motion sensors can sense?

I don't really need alerts as to what kind of object triggered motion sensing. I only need to know that something on the acre has moved. Once I'm alerted I will figure out what it is that moved.
5 REPLIES 5
brh
Master
Master

@JCorcoran,

There are many factors that come into play with motion detection sensitivity and range, but to answer the majority of your questions, the Smart Notifications have no bearing on detection range as the video is analyzed on the Arlo servers after the video has been sent to them. The user can determine which cameras, if any, that they wish to activate for Smart Notifications by placing them in the Active/Inactive areas in the Settings. As for Activity Zones, my understanding is that they only affect whether or not to send notifications when motion is detected within the boundaries of the zone, not whether or not to record the video.

Brian

JCorcoran
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thank you for that feedback. I consulted with Arlo customer support and they confirmed that no alert of any kind will be provided until the motion sensor actually sees something move. Since the motion sensors can only see out to 25 feet at best these cameras will not work for my application.
st_shaw
Master Master
Master

@JCorcoran wrote:
So, as I understand it, the Arlo Ultra cameras have a motion detection range of up to 25 feet. Also, my assumption is that the cameras do not begin to transmit video to the hub until the motion sensors have sensed motion (in the armed mode and not live streaming). If this is true, then attempting to use these cameras to alert me when motion occurs anywhere on an acre of land is not going to work feasibly with just a camera or two. Now, however, as I understand it, Arlo Smart has software algorithms that provide person/animal/vehicle detection features and cloud activity zones. The questions then become:
1) Does the camera motion sensor detection range become irrelevant when employing Arlo Smart detection capabilities?
2) Must the camera essentially live-stream to the Arli Smart software algorithms in order to provide the detection capabilities?
3) Does defining an Activity Zone become "physical distance irrelevant" because the software algorithms aren't concerned with how far away the Acticity Zone is?
4) Or, are Activity Zones and Arlo Smart detection capabilities effectively limited to only as far away as the physical motion sensors can sense?

I don't really need alerts as to what kind of object triggered motion sensing. I only need to know that something on the acre has moved. Once I'm alerted I will figure out what it is that moved.

1) No. The camera still triggers using the built-in IR motion sensor. However, it seems like the sensitivity is a bit higher when Smart is enabled.

2) The clips are sent to the cloud for analysis. The alerts are pretty fast, so it seems like the camera may buffer a few seconds then send the stream to the cloud, rather than wait and send the entire clip after it's recorded.

3) No, because the IR sensor is still used to trigger the analysis.

4) Yes.

I think it would be difficult to detect motion everywhere over an acre of land with with just one or two sensors of any kind, unless the area is an empty parking lot.

brh
Master
Master

@JCorcoran,

To be honest, I doubt if you will be able to find any camera system that will give reliable notifications over that size of property due to the current limitations of technology in motion detection. PIR motion detection has a limited range and pixel comparing systems will give you dozens if not thousands of false notifications due to movement by trees, etc. blowing in the wind and light differences such as clouds passing by. The less area covered by the sensors the more accurate the detection which means more cameras or sensors. Then there could be the problem of getting wifi or cables to cameras that are further away.

Let us know if you are able to solve this problem.

Jramadan
Star
Star
Would be nice if an update would allow CVR in 4k Or 1080p to be recorded to the Micro Sd. Have a 512gb with ample space. It’s rather disappointing that this is not an option! The CVR subscription is too expensive and charges per camera. Sorry but my samsung smartcam has this option. Also like the pixel based motion as it captures more events than arlo. With that being said the arlo also misses events after the recording stops. Sometimes videos cut short and motion activity is not being recorded. In addition sometimes motion events are not captured in time. Quick movements are often missed by time it starts recording subject is already out of view. Is anybody else having these issues? Anyone else want CVR to SD? Video access via the app should be a must. And would love to see CVR to SD.
Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation