Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
rdbishop
Aspirant
Aspirant

I just purchased the top of the line Arlo Ultra camera because I wanted the ability to make 4K snapshots and videos only to figure out that I can't do that.  Not even with a subscription.  Seems that the ability to take manual snapshots and videos is limited to 1080p and those cannot even be recorded locally.  Even with the free 1 year Arlo Smart Premier subscription it doesn't appear to me that 4K videos are stored to the cloud.  Only 2K or less.  Sorry to say, but I'm afraid if someone can tell me that I am all wet, I will have to return the camera along with the video doorbell that came bundled with it.  I do not understand why Netgear has to cripple the camera unless you pay for an expensive annual plan.  How many people would go out and buy a 4K DSLR camera if they couldn't take 4K pictures if they didn't sign up for an expensive annual cloud service.  Makes no sense at all.

I cannot believe that I fell for all the marketing hype.  With all the sales going on right now it wouldn't surprise me if a new line of cameras comes out real soon.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

rdbishop,

Correct, manual snapshots and videos are limited to 1080p. With a Premier subscription, motion detected recordings can be stored up to 2K. For 4K content to be saved in the cloud, an elite subscription is required. For more information on this, take a look here: What are the available Arlo subscription plans and how much cloud recording is available?

JamesC

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

rdbishop,

Correct, manual snapshots and videos are limited to 1080p. With a Premier subscription, motion detected recordings can be stored up to 2K. For 4K content to be saved in the cloud, an elite subscription is required. For more information on this, take a look here: What are the available Arlo subscription plans and how much cloud recording is available?

JamesC

patriziaf
Tutor
Tutor
Hi, I already have 3 Arlo 2 Pro cameras, with base station, and I recently bought an Arlo Ultra. I can’t manually take pics or record videos from the live stream. I can’t believe that: the others cams can do that and they are far less expensive. Did I do something wrong?
dcfox1
Master
Master

You should be able to take a snapshot and record from live stream even with Ultra cam.  What base or smart hub are you using? Also do you see the icons to record and snapshot when live steaming? 

patriziaf
Tutor
Tutor
Thank you for the answer. I use the one I bought with the Arlo Pro 2 cams, it’s a VMB4000r3. I bought the Arlo Ultra cam alone, as an add-on cam.
No, I don’t see the icons of recording and snapshot. I see them on the live streaming of the Arlo Pro 2.
dcfox1
Master
Master

Yes as stated by as JamesC from Arlo posted  above you can't manual l record or snapshot when using 4k live on Ultra. He said it was a hardware restriction. On my Pro 3 I use pan and zoom on most cams so it defaults to 1080p so it works. Weird thing is on web portal no matter if pan and zoom is off or on I can record but it is in 1080p even with no option to record on phone. I cant view 2K and above on Tablet due to hardware restriction so that is probably why. 

dcfox1
Master
Master

Just to clarify when JamesC or another mod said in another thread said is you wont even get the option for the manual recording or snap shot in 2Kor 4K live. 

patriziaf
Tutor
Tutor
😡 when I compared the different cameras I only saw positive and superior things for the Arlo Ultra. Arlo didn’t write that you can’t take manual pictures or start recording when you see something interesting in the live streaming. When I see a burglar what I am supposed to do? How can I document that? This is a base feature for a surveillance camera.
Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation