Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Ultra local streaming with 4K and premier plan app error

Discussion stats
  • 32 Replies
  • 13 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation
JimiW
Apprentice
Apprentice

Added the premier plan 2 days ago, check the cameras tonight after app update (iOS), in video settings it now says local 2K streaming toggle but under says only 2 devices can stream in 4K. When I view the cameras 2x cameras say 2K and the rest have 4K ghosted out. Arlo??? Are you now telling me I have to PAY for a 4K subscription to stream the 4K cameras I already paid for in 4K local streaming???
When I had no subscription 2 cameras would view in 4K, so now I pay I get LESS???

32 REPLIES 32
officialuseonly
Guide
Guide
Actually they changed that option. As a month ago I could stream 4K/save 4k. Now since I’m locked into their “plan”. It’s stream 2k, save 2k. Which shouldn’t be the case. If I have cloud access, then fine, restrict it to 2k because I’m paying their 9.99 plan. Locally, there shouldn’t be an issue it’s saving in a higher quality because it doesn’t hamper their servers or take up space. It’s on my network, my connection.
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

HI @officialuseonly

Have you checked to see what the specs are of the downloaded video? Is I the badge that is displaying 2k vs 4k or are the specs displaying in 2k?

officialuseonly
Guide
Guide

It is displaying 2K as the format (when I view my locally saved videos) and recording in 2K to the SD Card.  I verified the size/display formats

I would think this shouldn't be correct, since why does Arlo need to restrict what is being recorded to my local device.  I don't care about the quality that's recorded to the cloud, since the courtesy of that feature is to access it remotely when I'm away from home.  If I require a high quality video of an incident, then I should be getting that out of a camera that's capable of doing 4K quality videos.

On the grandfathered plan, prior to it expiring, I was allowed to stream 4K locally, which now its restricted to 2K (as it shows in the app under the video features for those cameras), and I was able to save in 4K.  My cloud saves were compressed down to some pixelated format that was unbearable to watch.

Anyways, kind of jacked up to lock features that should be available to me without having to use their cloud services.

officialuseonly
Guide
Guide

Well, I don't need much more feedback since my initial posting finally merged with others having the same issues within the past year, which as it appears, didn't get resolved at any level, nor was there any compromise or update via the App to allow local 4K recording if you are only on the 9.99 plan.  I shouldn't have to sacrifice functions of a camera because I did or didn't pay a subscription fee.  As such, anyone who's commenting previously or further saying its a "you didn't read the details of the plan" problem, not an app or them problem, I would think you could come with a solution, not just adding some ignorant response. 

If I buy a $250 camera that states it can stream and will save 4K, it should do it, or you're basically misleading people on your product and features.

officialuseonly
Guide
Guide

Why was my original question/post merged with someone else's that's nearly a year old?  (what's the point of doing that since it just gets buried into someone else's comments)  I don't care if its the same issue.  I'm highlighting the issue again and bringing it back up since it seems to STILL be an issue.  No ones given a legitimate response that's been helpful in nearly every other post I've looked through.

JimiW
Apprentice
Apprentice

I agree, its ridiculous. I still have a case open 8 months later with no resolution, they give half hearted responses that say nothing.

what a joke Arlo

rmripotola
Aspirant
Aspirant
I totally agree with you. You buy top of the line camera with 4K but you can’t use it if you don’t subscription.
I’m keeping my local base station recording at 4K. Although I’m not satisfied it’s because I don’t want to pay $15/month just to have a 4K resolution. It’s just too much. The app actually sucks.
I always have unwanted notification even though motion is in the lowest settings.
I will never recommend Arlo!
If I have a chance I’ll return this and just buy a cheaper camera on Amazon with 4K resolution and does not require a subscription.
rmripotola
Aspirant
Aspirant
100% agree with you. I have the Ultra as well. And it’s very frustrating to have high end camera with the lowest garbage subscription and customer service.
I ended up just using local base station recoding and a bunch of unwanted notification even at the lowest setting.
My Arlo life begins in the morning by manually disarming the other camera and leaving one driveway armed to minimize tons of unwanted notification that drains my battery.
At night before going to sleep, I will armed all camera and put my phone on do not disturb.
Pathetic piece of security camera.
And I agree with you. I rather buy the Eufy!!!
There is so much negative things I can say to this cameras. Definitely won’t recommend it.
Discussion stats
  • 32 Replies
  • 13 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation