Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 32 Replies
  • 13 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation
JimiW
Apprentice
Apprentice

Added the premier plan 2 days ago, check the cameras tonight after app update (iOS), in video settings it now says local 2K streaming toggle but under says only 2 devices can stream in 4K. When I view the cameras 2x cameras say 2K and the rest have 4K ghosted out. Arlo??? Are you now telling me I have to PAY for a 4K subscription to stream the 4K cameras I already paid for in 4K local streaming???
When I had no subscription 2 cameras would view in 4K, so now I pay I get LESS???

32 REPLIES 32
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You did notice that the Premier sub gets 2k cloud recordings while Elite gets 4k, right? That's clearly stated in the subscriptions.

JimiW
Apprentice
Apprentice

jguerdat,

I clearly stated I was talking about local streaming.

I had to unpair one camera because it was messing up last night and then when I re paired it this morning it went back to the 4K local previously shown.

Does this mean I have to unpair every camera and re pair them just to get back local 4K streaming because of an app update? Thats ridiculous.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The app doesn't cause this - it's something about the config of the hub and/or cameras. If rebooting the hub doesn't help, I'd say you're left with removing and resyncing the cameras to clear out weirdness.

LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

JimiW when you go to the premier plan they drop you to 2K both in the cloud and on your SD.  I disputed this back in Jan.  and they sent an e-mail to my case saying this is all you get unless you pay for Elite.  Since then they have also taken away 4K live which is supposed to be available no matter the plan.  They last told me they are working on it.  That was back in April.  Don't hold your breath

JimiW
Apprentice
Apprentice

Wow, that is pathetic. You buy a 4K camera, fair enough you choose the cloud recording resolution but that should have nothing to do with your local SD card resolution, why bother buying a 4K camera then.

As to re pairing the cameras, that is truly sad, I just went through an experience where I was convinced my base station had bricked as it would not re start or get a blue light, I followed every step from the techs (which I had already done as im not stupid) and it was about the 12th time of doing stuff that it magically decided to work. Now I have to unpair and re pair cameras, that sucks. These things always seem to start failing JUST when you actually need them to work properly.

Camera resolution seems to be good on these things but the software and integration is rubbish. The amount of times I have re paired and reset cameras is embarrassing for something that retails at $450AUD per camera. The resolution of video steam is quite often better on homekit than arlo app which is just a joke. The night vision brightness needs to be switched up and down on random days to see anything, last night I had to turn the spotlight on and off to make it work properly.

JimiW
Apprentice
Apprentice
I’ve realised it’s the cameras that I haven’t added to the plan that state the 4K option, so it’s not a bug it’s done deliberately.

@JamesC can you please respond? Arlo is restricting the use of my cameras to their full ability deliberately outside of the subscription I am using. If Elite had the 50% off offer I would have got that, but it didn’t.

Another question (sorry), does anyone know if I add the discounted single camera plans to my 5 camera plan it will take away the 50% 5 camera offer I signed up for? As it seems every time you change a plan it messes up your original. I’m in completely the wrong time zone for phone chat and I can never get onto them with live chat and no answers to email support cases....
LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

If you do add more than the 5 cameras you will see 2K toggles in the app for the first 5 but the added cameras will show 4K toggles, however even those will only record in 2K or go live in 2K.

JimiW
Apprentice
Apprentice

Yep, its rubbish. Add to this Arlo disconnected my 2K plan that was discounted and I've been emailing a support case with them for WEEKS and they haven't added it back. I'm in australia so the PDT phone call times are really difficult for me.

@JamesC

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @JimiW

May I ask for the case number you have open with support?

JimiW
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hi Shane, it is 41828515 but for some reason an online case 41966413 was also created.

Thanks James

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@JimiW

I see you have the two cases open. The most recent was requesting assistance from the customer care team. I have escalated your case(41828515) to the escalations team & someone from support will be reaching out to you as soon as possible.

JimiW
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hey Shane,

great, thank you! it has been very frustrating trying to get someone to actually respond with other than standard script responses

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@JimiW

You're welcome,

Your escalations case number is 41980110.

JimiW
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hi @ShayneS ,

thanks, someone answered and it wasn't a good answer. They are saying there was a problem with my card however I never received any notification of such and they have basically said so sad too bad in reply. Very unsatisfactory customer service, not to mention the fact I have been dealing with this for months on end and I still dont see a satisfactory answer to why they can't provide me a code to offer a suitable discount for the elite plan as I had for the premier plan so that I can use the full capability of the cameras that I purchased in full for their 4K ability. No where does it document when you buy these that your local viewing and storage will be limited by the subscription you sign up to and Arlo is far behind others in not allowing Apple HSV (homekit secure video), I guess this is because Arlo does not wish to lose revenue. If I had known how bad the customer service at Arlo was with me basically banging my head against the wall for months as every response was a scripted cut and paste response I would have gone with the Eufy cameras which despite they are only 1080p, they include HSV now and have reports of excellent customer service. As it stands, I'm not getting the use of the 4K ability I bought the cameras for anyway. To outline this, I have spent over $2000AUD on Arlo cameras for my house and now in addition Arlo wants me to pay around $30AUD a month extra ($360AUD a year) just to be able to use my cameras in the full capability as they were purchased?  I will refrain from posting the terrible cookie cutter response to this "escalation" on a public forum as I do not believe in doing that kind of thing, however it seems being in contact on this forum is the only way of getting any kind of non scripted response.

Thanks.

JJAdV
Apprentice
Apprentice

I was Happy with my 1 year free, and I bought the Ultra for the 4K, which i hd locally on the SD Card.

I was then forced to pay a lot more for a subscription when it ran out. I opted for the 2K online sub for 5 cameras.

I then noticed that the local recordings are only 2K (check the footage on the card). How do I get the local recordings back to the 4K that I forked out $1000s of dollars for? Or can I have my old subscription back where I had 4K local storage.. What is happening with this.. its all a bit bazaar..

I what want I paid for, a 4K camera system. (Local storage).. What setting does this? Am I missing something?

JJAdV
Apprentice
Apprentice

I found a "asterisk" on a bulletin that states they cant stream and record 2 and 4K locally.. (what a cluster ****) What plan can records locally at 4K and online at 1080P like I had? I couldn't find one when I upgraded.. Link please.

JJAdV
Apprentice
Apprentice

Holy crap.. I just had a conversation with an Arlo support person.. Guys its scary.. They have no idea how their cameras work. They have no idea of the subscription plans, the limitations etc, nothing. .  

DO NOT invest in this system/platform if you are making a choice, go anywhere else.. Arlo are extremely deceptive.

JJAdV
Apprentice
Apprentice

Is this 4K local recording limit going to be fixed? I bought these 4K camera for 4K local recording (was happy with 1080P online) now they have removed this ability and I have to have 4K online to get 4K local..

This is deceptive, unethical and sneaky.

If this cant be fixed I would like Arlo to take back my 5 camera system and give my money back. At no time was I told that I would have my system downgraded from what I bought.. Im surprised its even legal to do this, its at least unethical.. You need to put you business practises out as a warning on the box so customers know how you operate.

BTW you need to educate you support people. Even they dont know you dodgy business practises.. They argued I should have 4K local with 2K online.. 

JimiW
Apprentice
Apprentice

@ShayneS 

any resolution? Your support are not doing anything or providing ANY customer service, this is rubbish.

@JJAdV  

I dont mind people commenting on my posts but please dont hijack it with a string of complaints relating to your own issues.

JJAdV
Apprentice
Apprentice

Lol, it’s all the same issue.. 

@Arlo, any replies, answers, Are you going to fix these issues or reimburse people some of their purchase price??

JimiW
Apprentice
Apprentice

@ShayneS  @Arlo 

Ok, im sick of this crap so here's the bull**bleep** response I have gotten for about the 10th time for everyone to see in public to show how crap Arlo service is and that they don't actually care about customers or even listen to what they say

Your Case Details
Case Number: 41828515
Subject: Related to 41729959(4K resolution inquiry)

Case Update
Hi James,

Good day!

Thank you for submitting your online case. I really appreciate that you took the time to share your experience. Words cannot express how deeply sorry I am for the trouble you have been through in setting up the system. Your opinions and comments are very important to us, as they assist us in constantly improving our service performance and product quality.

I would like to convey to you our sincere apologies for the inconvenience you have experienced with your ARLO Security System. This issue has no doubt caused you some frustration and we want you to know that this is certainly not typical of our organization. ARLO takes great pride in maintaining a reputation for excellence, and we will make every effort to ensure that your next transaction with us is handled most efficiently.

Going back to your main concern, An Arlo Smart subscription enables you to record in 2K or 4K video resolution, activate advanced object detection, create cloud activity zones, and much more. You can purchase a plan for multiple cameras, a single camera, or both. This provides a flexible and customizable experience for your Arlo system.

1. Arlo Smart Premier
With an Arlo Smart Premier subscription, you can record to the Arlo cloud with up to 2K video resolution on 1 camera or 5 cameras. Your clips save to the Arlo library for up to 30 days after recording. If you have more than 5 cameras, you can add a single-camera plan for each additional camera at half the original price. For more information, see the Worldwide Service Plan Pricing section.

2. Arlo Smart Elite
With an Arlo Smart Elite subscription, you can record to the Arlo cloud with up to 4K video resolution on 1 camera or 5 cameras. Your clips save to the Arlo library for 30 days after recording. If you have more than 5 cameras, you can add a single-camera plan for each additional camera at half the original price. For more information, see the Worldwide Service Plan Pricing section.

Please visit this link below.
1. https://kb.arlo.com/88/What-are-the-available-Arlo-subscription-plans-and-how-much-cloud-recording-i...
2. https://kb.arlo.com/000062337/What-is-Direct-Storage-Access-and-how-do-I-use-it

For any inquiry, you may also contact us at 408-638-3750 between 5 AM – 6 PM Pacific Standard Time or reach us using our chat support option (https://www.arlo.com/en-us/support/contact.aspx) and refer to your case number 41828515.

Sincerely,

Regie
ARLO Support Expert
Support Site - https://support.arlo.com
Community site - https://community.arlo.com

demannu
Apprentice
Apprentice

Yep, Arlo support is abysmal and the company is smiley and deceptive. The amount of artificial crippling on the system they do to force the people who have made the mistake of buying their products should be illegal. I wasted $3000 NZD on this POS system that doesn't even provide real time security, complete gimmick product. 

officialuseonly
Guide
Guide

Looking for some feedback on this;

So I just had my free one year trial expire for my cloud subscription - now, I guess in that time, Arlo updated their subscription tiers with Arlo Smart Premier Multi Camera and Elite.

The free 7 day cloud uploads now only work for older model cameras, not anything higher.  Makes sense, you got to make money.

The Premier now gives you 2K video feeds (for the specific Pro models and higher, and Ultras) only for cloud / live streaming and what I just found out, only saves 2K (for your Ultra's) to your memory card on your base station, not a 4K quality as you would assume with a 4K camera.  I would like to think that LIVE local (on my own network) I could access the 4K feature, and have the ability to save with 4K quality video to my memory card. 

That doesn't seem to be the case.  But, if I subscribed to the Elite subscription model, I can allow that to happen.

So...Arlo...  you not only restricted my Ultra camera's from streaming at a quality that you specifically state is possible on my own local network, you wont even allow me to save at that same quality on my SD card, on my own local network, unless I pay for your $14.99 subscription to unlock those features.       

Are you actively looking to piss off customers who become aware of you doing this?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Anything recorded locally is exactly the same as what is in the cloud - kinda hasta be since otherwise there would be 2 separate recordings. So the Premier plan is 2k regardless of where it's stored. Without a plan (no cloud recordings) you could get 4k. It's a choice on both your and Arlo's ends.

Discussion stats
  • 32 Replies
  • 13 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation