Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

pjsisk01
Star
Star

Please tell me these new Arlo Ultra cameras are compatible with the exisiting Arlo Pro base staton and app. If not it pretty much leaves all of the exisitng customers who invested a lot of money (myself over 700 USD) out of the upgrade game.

116 REPLIES 116
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Not at the current time but the Pro cameras will work with the Ultra system. Right now the Pro base's firmware doesn't support working with Ultra cameras but that's an update promised in the future.

levirichard
Aspirant
Aspirant

Can I use my existing base unit with the new cameras, or must I upgrade it?

brh
Master
Master

@levirichard 

Not at the current time, although Arlo has promised to make the Arlo Ultras backwards compatible with earlier bases in the future. If you purchase a kit, (Ultra base and camera/cameras), you will receive one free year of Premium service and will be able to utilize all the Ultra's features. You can, however leave you older cameras associated with the current base and add the Ultra base to your account, (no limit to how many base stations/account). The older cameras will work with the Ultra base, though.

Brian

LRP76
Aspirant
Aspirant

I really have two questions about the NEW Arlo Ultra Camera, (1) is this camera compatible with my Arlo Pro system? (2) does this NEW camera have a ZOOM option?

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

LRP76,

The SmartHub enables 4k, Auto Track and Zooming, local live streaming, as well as a simplified onboarding experience for Arlo Ultra. Further, all users who purchase Arlo Ultra kits get 1 year of Arlo Smart included, for up to 10 cameras on their account, for all camera models. What we recommend for existing users who upgrade to an Ultra kit, is to swap out their existing basestations to the Arlo SmartHub, which allows them to take advantage of all of the benefits of Ultra, as well as all of the benefits of Arlo Smart. Finally, all current generations of camera products are forwards compatible with the Ultra SmartHub, so existing users can pair their existing cameras to the new SmartHub.

In the meantime, Arlo is working on introducing full backwards compatibility to be released at a future update.

JamesC

jayhova1
Guide
Guide

How many total cameras and devices will the new Ultra base support out of the box?  I recently purchased a 6 camera Pro 2 kit prior to the Ultra being released.  I'm hoping I could use all 6 Pro 2 plus 1-2 ultras.  Will the new base also support doorbell and chime?  Thanks.

st_shaw
Master Master
Master

@jayhova1 wrote:

How many total cameras and devices will the new Ultra base support out of the box?  I recently purchased a 6 camera Pro 2 kit prior to the Ultra being released.  I'm hoping I could use all 6 Pro 2 plus 1-2 ultras.  Will the new base also support doorbell and chime?  Thanks.

The 1-year free Smart plan that comes with the Ultra system will support up to 10 cameras, so at least that many.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

And the Ultra base will eventually support the doorbell but not right now. It'll take a firmware update.

mumtickle
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have 2 of Arlo Pro 2 camera, & would like to purchase the Arlo ultra camera to add on. Would a Arlo Pro 2 base works with Arlo ultra camera?
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

As noted many times here in multiple threads, until the older bases get appropriate firmware, no. Right now, the Ultra cameras will only sync with the Ultra base. Down the road, things will be different.

gwiz88
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hey Jake. 

I would like to know if there is an answer to the same question you have. Will the sensor work with the pro 2 base. 

I am considering to buy the Arlo pro 2 system with 2 or 3 cameras. (As the Ultra price is way too high for me). 

I will get 2 cameras if the motion sensor can function with my base as a smoke detector.

Otherwise I will just get 3 cameras and use one camera as an internal sound sensor for my existing smoke alarms. 

Wondering what to do?

Any advice appreciated. 

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@gwiz88 wrote:

Hey Jake. 

I would like to know if there is an answer to the same question you have. Will the sensor work with the pro 2 base. 

Not sure that I follow you here. Is this the question that from @jake158693 that you want answered?

Solved: Re: Arlo Ultra and Arlo Pro 2 compatibility - Arlo Communities

That is not where this discussion started. And there is already a Solved answer to the original question:

Solved: Re: Arlo Ultra compatibility with Arlo Pro 2 & it'... - Arlo Communities

So you might do better to start a fresh discussion with your question. I can't see that it has much to do with the one that started this now solved discussion. That is one of the peril's of hijacking a long running discussion.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
cwmobley
Aspirant
Aspirant

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Yes, but the Ultra will only run on the Ultra base... ( unless that changes in the future )

All the other arlo cams will run on the Ultra base .

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
RBBuscher
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have an Arlo Pro three camera system. I would like to use the new Ultra camera. Will it work with my base station??

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

RBBuscher,

Arlo Ultra is not compatible with the VMB3500 base station. Please take a look here for more information: Is Arlo Ultra backwards compatible with my existing Arlo system?

JamesC

KAVS
Aspirant
Aspirant
Not only is the new Arlo Ultra Camera not backward compatible with the base station, Netgear wants us (the customers) to pay for a new base station so that their new camera will work. That is BS and I will, in accordance to this thievery, get rid of a system that has now (ALREADY) reached lifecycle DEADEND! This makes the Arlo/Netgear Family of security cameras useless. If Netgear wants to fix this and not lose customers and mitigate their loss of market by this LIFECYCLE DEADEND platform, they should be giving the new base station to anyone purchasing the new Arlo Ultra Camera, FREE, if they already have an Arlo base station. In fact they told me they would have done that if I had not called them to confirm that the new camera was backward compatible with the base station. So, do not call them. Do the purchase and then call them and complain and they will give you the new base station free. If that is not an asinine solution, I do not know my own name. NETGEAR SUCKS and they are about to lose their market share in this industry segment, because their management are stupid and greed by making the customer pay for their lack of proper product development that should not be forcing customers to pay for their lack of engineering to handle backward compatibility with their existing hardware. SHAMEFUL. STOP BUYING NETGEAR/ARLO products!
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

KAVS,

The introduction of the SmartHub does not invalidate your existing Arlo products. The Ultra camera and SmartHub can be used on the same account alongside your previous generation cameras and base stations.

In order to experience all of the features of the Arlo Ultra camera, an Arlo SmartHub is required.

For more information on this, take a look here: Is Arlo Ultra backwards compatible with my existing Arlo system?

JamesC

GreatDane1632
Aspirant
Aspirant
Just received my Ultra VMC5040 and following all the instructions from my app multiple times I cannot get it to connect to my VMB3500 base. I have tried collecting my Ultra right after installing the battery, I have attempted connecting with the Ultra plugged in, I have unplugged/replugged the base and retried
connecting with no luck. I get the blinking light on both the base and the camera, but it has not connected yet.
Any help out there?
brh
Master
Master

@GreatDane1632 

To the best of my knowledge, currently the Ultra cameras will only sync to the Ultra hub, (VMB5000). Whether or not that will change in the future remins to be seen.

Brian

DamianR
Apprentice
Apprentice
BRH is correct.
The Ultra cameras are currently only compatible with the new 5000 series base stations. Olfer generation cameras will connect to the new base stations as well.
Rjcanesr
Aspirant
Aspirant
Can I use arlo pro camera on the arlo ultra base station ? Also can I use arlo pro battery in a arlo ultra camera? Thank you Robert
DamianR
Apprentice
Apprentice
Pro Camera works on Ultra base.
Pro battery is only for Pro series.
Ultra has a new battery size and capacity.
kgj
Aspirant
Aspirant
Do you get all the benefits that this camera purports to have if it’s connected to the Pro base station.
st_shaw
Master Master
Master

No. Arlo previously said they would release future firmware to support it, but only at 1080p, and without auto track and zoom and local live streaming.  Arlo doesn't even mention compatibility now.

https://kb.arlo.com/000062146/Is-Arlo-Ultra-backwards-compatible-with-my-existing-Arlo-system

Either way, it doesn't really make sense to run the Ultra without the new hub.