Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Onegr8dane
Apprentice
Apprentice

I had great expectations of my new Arlo Ultra cameras. One is mounted at my front door, flush with the wall, and with the 180 degree setting should be able to see both ends of the walkway in front. However I only get a 155 degree view. When I try the different view settings I do get 3 different angles of view. They all get less of a viewing angle than the setting indicates. Also you have to be nearly on top of the camera before it starts recording.

It is as if the lens from the Arlo Pro 3 has been fitted by mistake.

I have opened a ticket with support, but not gotten any resolution yet.

4 REPLIES 4
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The angle is measured diagonally, not side-to-side/top-to-bottom. That would end up with a circular image, not rectangular.

Onegr8dane
Apprentice
Apprentice

Measuring diagonally still does not get a 180 degree view. 180 degrees is a "fish eye" view, which is round and show the image of a whole half sphere.

The way Ultra is marketed that is what to expect. Software in  the camera and app will make the image viewable, according to the adds I have seen.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

No, there are circular and rectilinear fisheyes. The difference is that the former is a full 180 degree circle with a black border around it while the latter just barely fills the image rectangle from corner to corner. I have a fisheye zoom which does both for my DSLRs.

Onegr8dane
Apprentice
Apprentice

The Arlo Ultra cameras are marketed as having a full 180 degree view. The actual appx. 155 degree is not satisfactory, when your requirement is 180. Nowhere do they mention that the horizontal field of view is less than 180 and in fact only about 155 degrees. I might as well have bought the Arlo Pro 3 at a lower cost.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation