Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Ultra and Doorbell not working. CVR not working nor can I view/answer at doorbell.

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Guide
Guide

I've totally reached my boiling point with this Arlo Ultra and Arlo Doorbell. It just doesn't work as one would expect at the price point paid. Arlo, I'm starting 2022 off fresh and if it is something that can be reset, please advise. I'm currently paying for the CVR plan and EVERY time I need to review footage, it's not working. I've. been paying for this service and it doesn't even work!! I can't answer nor can I view who's at the doorbell.  Hasn't work through the Apple Home app for some time and the Arlo app really isn't any better when the software comes from Arlo. If you all can point me into the right direction, I'll take note, if not, I'm canceling my service with Arlo and disconnecting this paperweight.  

I'm running iOS 15.2 iPhone 12 Pro Max  Apple TV tvOS 15.2

Running previous versions didn't change a thing (iOS 13-14-15). The Arlo software/ hardware has always perform very bad for the competition available. I also have a fiber connection at minimum via wi-fi 6 speeds up too 925mbps up and down. Any advice, I'll listen. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Guide
Guide

So in other words, overpriced Arlo equipment 🤦🏽‍♂️ 

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hi 42013,

For further assistance with the multiple issues you're experiencing with your Arlo system, please navigate to Settings > Support in the Arlo App for service options available to you.

Guide
Guide

Update - customer service wanted me to reset everything, I didn't. I wanted to troubleshoot myself as I feel it's cloud related software issues. I canceled the CVR plan and now recording locally. So far, no issues with doorbell pixelated Homekit notifications via Apple TV. Also, you can see the entire 20 second clip play without freezing up after 2 or 3 seconds as it was via Arlo cloud recording. My other cameras so far are working in library as well. Will see how this configuration goes over the next 30 days! I hope to be able to now see recordings as needed for free without paying Arlo $9.99 monthly plan and not seeing anything!!    

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@42013 wrote:

I canceled the CVR plan and now recording locally.

Just to clarify - the CVR plan isn't available for the doorbell (but it is available for the Ultra).  It requires the Ultra to be AC powered all the time.

Did you actually mean the CVR subscription?  Or did you cancel Arlo Secure?

Guide
Guide

Yes, CVR subscription for the Ultra is what has been canceled. I'm very aware the camera needs power supply to function, I read the requirements before purchasing the subscription. It's been powered with ac the entire time I've owned the camera. 

Doorbell smart service did come with the purchase of the unit. However, it doesn't capture over half the motion triggers and if it does, the video is very unstable. Either chopped up, pixelizations, or freeze up to the point of that motion is not viewable. When I select local storage, all the motions the cloud service missed are available for viewing and 90-95% of the videos play without error.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@42013 wrote:

Doorbell smart service did come with the purchase of the unit. However, it doesn't capture over half the motion triggers and if it does, the video is very unstable. Either chopped up, pixelizations, or freeze up to the point of that motion is not viewable. When I select local storage, all the motions the cloud service missed are available for viewing and 90-95% of the videos play without error.

That is interesting, and suggests that the stream wasn't reliably reaching the Arlo cloud from the base.

What is your internet upload speed?  I'm wondering if CVR just pushed the bandwidth too high, though it could be that the base for some reason wasn't able to keep up when it was also handling CVR.

Guide
Guide

I have At&t fiber and my plan is 1000mbps down and up. Wirelessly I'm getting 400mbps down and up via wifi 6 router with mesh. I have  30 + devices in my home and I don't have any speed issues or connectivity concerns with any other devices. I don't think CVR was providing the resources to operate the system.

Doorbell hardware my opinion doesn't have enough ram or the processor isn't sufficient to be a modern doorbell. It's working better using my local storage but I want 100% functionality not 90%.  

I think I will eventually go back to the cat 5 wired cameras and try out one more smart modern doorbell that works with Apple Homekit. My older ring actually worked better than Arlo, but not Apple Homekit friendly. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@42013 wrote:

I have At&t fiber and my plan is 1000mbps down and up. Wirelessly I'm getting 400mbps down and up via wifi 6 router with mesh. I have  30 + devices in my home and I don't have any speed issues or connectivity concerns with any other devices. I don't think CVR was providing the resources to operate the system.

Certainly not limited by your internet speed or local network.

That would leave loading on the base.

Guide
Guide

So in other words, overpriced Arlo equipment 🤦🏽‍♂️ 

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation