Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Ultra - WiFi Performance Outside House. Had bad experience ewith Ring cameras outside.

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Swindonpete
Tutor
Tutor

Hi All

i’m looking at buying a system and I’ve had a bad experience with Ring cameras outside in that they often lose connectivity with my wi Fi (BT Router - new one) Any comments on Arlo performance in terms of wi Fi range and success etc would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

11 REPLIES 11
dcfox1
Master
Master

I do not have the Ultra but I have the Pro3 and had Ring and had same problems outside and less features. Most Arlo cams connect to the Hub/Base on it's own "closed" wifi network and the Hub/base connects to router via Ethernet cable. The newer outside models Pro4 and Essential series can connect directly to wifi or Hub/base.  I don't have a problem with the Pro3 but someone with an Ultra if that's what you looking at will probably chime in. There is a lot of information in the FAQ at the top of each models forum. 

Swindonpete
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks very much for this. A couple of quick question please,
How far away are your cameras from the Arlo hub?

Who is your ISP

When you moved from Ring cameras to Arlo, did you position your cameras in the same positions as the Ring cameras and did the Arlos just connect up to the Arlo hub without any problems / adjustments?

thanks again for your insights into this. I just do not want to go through the “Ring experience” again!

dcfox1
Master
Master

@Swindonpete wrote:

Thanks very much for this. A couple of quick question please,
How far away are your cameras from the Arlo hub?

Who is your ISP

When you moved from Ring cameras to Arlo, did you position your cameras in the same positions as the Ring cameras and did the Arlos just connect up to the Arlo hub without any problems / adjustments?

thanks again for your insights into this. I just do not want to go through the “Ring experience” again!

I have them pretty much at same place as ring. The farther is about 100 feet away, it has 2 out of 3 bars but I don't have a problem with it. Other three have 3 of 3 bars. I have the hub connected via ethernet to a newer comcast router. The cams connected fine to the hub as they are on their own closed wifi network. The new Pro4 and Essential series can connect directly to your wifi. The main reason I left Ring was at the time they had a max of 30 sec recordings before restarting. That has changed some now. 

Swindonpete
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks very much dcfox1 for this more detailed info, much appreciated. I be doing some measuring tomorrow and I would think the Arlo kit will be a good solution for us.

Always_watching
Tutor
Tutor
What are your walls made of?
dcfox1
Master
Master

@Always_watching wrote:
What are your walls made of?

Not sure who you are asking but mine is wood. House construction does make a difference in range as it could reduce the signal. Brick, Stucco and metal doors ect. 

Always_watching
Tutor
Tutor
Asking OP, depending on how many walls the signal has to travel makes a difference.
Swindonpete
Tutor
Tutor

My walls are brick but we have some fairly big French doors out into the garden ( plastic and glass). Then it’s about 60 feet from the French doors to the position of the Arlo. The router / hub will be about 20 feet from the French doors in the same room. So in all, the Arlo will be around 80/90 feet from router/hub in a diagonal line which will run through a brick wall. The other Arlo will be closer by about 20/30 feet closer. Any advice welcomed from all. Thank you all. Look forward to hearing from what you all think. 

Swindonpete
Tutor
Tutor

Our walls are brick but we have some fairly big French doors out into the garden ( plastic and glass). Then it’s about 60 feet from the French doors to the position of the Arlo. The router / hub will be about 20 feet from the French doors in the same room. So in all, the Arlo will be around 80/90 feet from router/hub in a diagonal line which will run through a brick wall. The other Arlo will be closer by about 20/30 feet closer. Any advice welcomed from all. Thank you all. Look forward to hearing from what you all think about the prospects of me getting a stable connection to the 2 Arlos (possibly Pro 3’s).

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Just remember, you can use multi hubs ( only true way to expand coverage area )...

There is no service charge for hubs and I find it better to split up my cameras... ( front / back , also two schedules )

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
Swindonpete
Tutor
Tutor

Hi - I've been trying to work out if the 2 cameras I'm thinking of buying will connect and have stable connections in the garden. The Hub will be c40 feet from the cameras and the "line of sight" will be through glass french doors (not brick wall). I have BT broadband and the latest BT Smart Hub.

Appreciate peoples insights as to have good this will perform - thanks in advance.

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation