Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
rchrugg
Tutor
Tutor

HI All, I am hoping for a little honesty and knowledge.  I purchased an Arlo Ultra last week and am about to pack it up and return it after the dialogue that I had with one of their support persons, curiously named Arlie (yeah right).  

Out of 5 cameras, I reported one that seems to be less robust than the others.  It keeps dropping signal.  I was told to contact Verizon to:

1. Get my wifi on Channel 1, 6 or 11

2. Have them test bandwidth throughput so that the camera are getting at least 2mb per second throughput.

I can take care of number one, but it's ridiculous to think that Verizon is going to assist me with #2.  I asked about swapping this one particular camera out and was told they can't do this until the other items are tested.

Next, I asked about a range extender for the cams on the outer end away from my base station.  "Arlie" gave me

https://kb.arlo.com/5568/How-can-I-extend-the-range-of-my-Arlo-system - Document that illustrates extended range 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dfh__HV467c - A video produced by Arlo in 2015 regarding range extenders.  This was clearly produced before the Ultras were invented.  I have two very simple questions I hope you all can help with:

1. Are Range Extenders able to be used with the ultra system?  I have an Almond that works perfectly

2. Is yes to number one, do I extend the range of my default wireless network or do I extend the signal from the base station

2a.  If I extend the range to the base station, what is the password to the base station in order to do this?

I am counting on the fact that Arlo personell or other experts are on this forum and can answer quickly or back the store my $1000.00 Ultra system goes.

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6
st_shaw
Master Master
Master

Definitely use proper channel management on your WiFi, or you will increase interference for all nearby devices on that band.  Use only 1, 6, or 11 for the 2.4 GHz band.

Seems odd support would ask about your bandwidth.  What type of service do you have and what is your Internet upload speed? Obviously, you can test your own upload speed (speediest.net, etc.)  You don't need Verizon to do that.

Did you swap cameras to verify it's camera-related and not position-related?

The cameras communicate directly to the hub using a proprietary protocol.  So, you can only improve signal by adjusting the camera and/or hub placement.  Elevating the hub helps.  Minimizing walls and obstructions between the camera and hub helps.  Cinderblock, concrete, metal, and some window coatings will block the signal.

You can only use an extender as a means to relocate the hub.  You can add additional hubs though. You might need more than one hub if your five cameras are spread far apart.

demannu
Apprentice
Apprentice

Basically, you'll connect the "smart" hub to the extender via ethernet cable. Arlo does not allow you to connect YOUR cameras to your own wireless network, nor can the "smart" hub be connected via wireless.

In all honesty, return them while you still can, you'll be much happier with another system. Arlo is a terrible product. 

Spike13
Guide
Guide
Unfortunately I agree with the above post. Return it. If it doesn’t work, return it. Your earring your time with their support. I have two malfunctioning cameras. After hours on the phone with them, and after jumping through all their hoops, I finally had a tech support rep authorize two replacement cameras. This was close to 3 weeks ago and now radio silence. I’m not wasting any more of my time. If I could return the system, I would.
Jarrodspence
Aspirant
Aspirant
I bought a second base to extend my range together with a ubiquiti networking system that has remote extenders i just plug in outside and am using it for my cameras on my chickens to monitor food and coyotes.
rchrugg
Tutor
Tutor

This was very helpful, thank you.  I can't say as much for Arlo tech Support.  After receiving this answer. I had two simple questions:

1.  Should I buy an additional Base Station or an additional smart hub.  From what I see, I don't necessarily need another VMB5000.  I can purchase the 4540, but when I asked what I could be losing in terms of operational capability, I was not given a direct answer.  This was on chat and admittedly, there is something lost in this mode of support.

2. My other question was about cost.  The fact that I have now "chatted" with 7 support personnel, gotten wrong and misleading answers, been disconnected twice, but bounced from support to website sales support and back, in my eyes, makes a discount on buying the additional hub warranted.  I work for a similar type technology company and if this happened to one of my customers, we would have made good and profusely apologized.   Thats when I really started getting bounced around.  

If I had known what I know now about this companies support, I would have never purchased these cameras.  The cameras themselves are high enough quality, but the way the company takes care of its customers is appalling.  Obviously my opinion might differ from others but that is my opinion nonetheless.  I hope someone from Arlo is listening in and doesn't block this post

If anyone can tell me the hub/base station differences it would be appreciated so that I can make an informed decision, it would be appreciated

st_shaw
Master Master
Master

1. This link might help.  The main difference seems to be MicroSD vs USB.  The 5000 has 5 GHz.  I don't know if the 4540 has 5 GHz too, but the 4500 I have does not.   The 5000 is supposed to have Zwave and Zigbee, which could be used in the future.

https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-Ultra/5000-or-4540/td-p/1756021

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation