Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
Blacky17557
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hi.

I have just purchased the NEW Arlo Ultra 2 Camera System. Love the improvements with this technology!!

I am just setting them up right now.

My question is directed to Arlo (Netgear) - You have improved a number of the design features with the New Ultra Camera Set-up. You have made it easier to remove the battery from the Camera without having to reset the Camera direction everytime you change the battery BUT you have not released any CHARGER as with the previous Arlo Pro and Arlo Pro 2. What does this mean to myself, the consumer? Well for trusting your brand and updating to the Ultra basically as soon as it has been released for sale - I am now faced with having to remove each camera from their mounts so that I can charge the batteries and each time I do this - each Camera will be OFFLINE until it is charged. This is really disappointing under the circumstances. The battery for the Ultra is different to the Arlo Pro / Arlo Pro 2 - so now all my batteries (All 10 of them!!!) that I had for my previous system are useless and cannot be used with the New Ultra System - and this includes the double charger that I purchased to have batteries read to changeover and also the additional batteries that I purchased previously at a very hefty cost to me!!

At some point Netgear will find that people will get sick of continually paying out money  time and again ( and a lot of money at that) only to find that in a short period of time they will become obsolete!! Totally NOT a happy customer.

I do know that I could have kept my previous system and that I can probably sell my existing batteries/cameras/charger on ebay or similar - but to me that's not the point.

Life your game Netgear or be prepared to say goodbye to your customers!!!!

8 REPLIES 8
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Blacky17557,

Arlo Ultra accessories will be available soon, you can find more information on the charging cable release here: Arlo Accessory - Indoor Magnetic Charging Cable | 8 ft | Compatible with Arlo Ultra Only | (VMA5000C...

The accessory changes don't invalidate your existing cameras or accessories (you'll still need your charger and batteries for your Pro and Pro 2 cameras). These changes were made to improve the overall experience. For example, the magnetic charging solution makes it easier to charge your camera without having to reposition.

JamesC

Blacky17557
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hi James and thanks for your reply.

I'm not sure I totally understand what you are saying. The charging cable is great BUT as I don't have a USB Port right next to each of my Ultra Cameras (One is above the garage and the other above the front door) then my understanding is that I will still need to remove both the Ultra cameras from their mounts to charge them using the charging cable. I would think that most people don't have USB Ports right next to their cameras - am I missing something?

As far as releasing the Cameras before they release the associated accessories - is not something that consumers would be pleased about at all. At this stage I can't have Spare Batteries ready to swap out because I need the actual camera to be able to charge the spare batteries - and at this stage there isn't one. Poor business decision in my opinion leaving customers feeling very disappointed for such an expensive outlay. 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Blacky17557,

Every users environment is different but ultimately I understand your position. We're working hard to make all of the Arlo Ultra accessories available to provide flexible ease of use for your system. I will provide any new information I have available on these accessories as soon as I know more.

JamesC

jackvUK
Tutor
Tutor

When can we expect an outdoor cable in the UK?

Blacky17557
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hi James and thanks for your reply.

I have managed to find an Arlo Dual Charger for the Arlo Ultra Batteries from Harvey Norman (AU).

The charger is an Au Model and they say delivery will be 4-10 days @$99 and $9 delivery.

I will wait and see if this delivers as promised.

Regards,

Paul

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The Pro and Ultra batteries and chargers are different. Make sure you're getting the right device.

Blacky17557
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hi and thanks Guru.

I have purchased the Au Model Charger for the Arlo Ultra Batteries. Most places in Au (and there were not many) that were selling these - were Out of Stock (Not surprisingly) but Harvey Norman still had them. I won't be surprised if they contact me to tell me they are Out of Stock. Will wait and see. Thanks!!

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@jackvUK wrote:

When can we expect an outdoor cable in the UK?

Good question.

If you believe Amazon, indoor cables arrive on April 22, 2019. 

Arlo Accessory Indoor Magnetic Charging Cable

With luck outdoors might land around the same time.

But it would be nice to know officially.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation