Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 22 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
RRRemco
Guide
Guide

My Arlo cameras drain rapidly after being plugged in the AC for more than 24hours resulting in the cameras going offline. How is this possible. Cant the Armo Ultras remain permanently connected a power outlet???

22 REPLIES 22
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Generally, that can't happen if the camera is properly plugged in. When you connect power the battery icon should show a lightning bolt through it - do you see that? If not, there's a connection problem. If you do see that, it sounds like the power adapter is faulty.

RRRemco
Guide
Guide
The lightning bolt shows. Power adapter is a stock one. Ive had the issue on 2 of the 4 cameras.
I havent tried the other 2 cameras yet.
Ive had the problem before. Really annoying as I cant permanently plug it in.
RRRemco
Guide
Guide
1 camera down again after charging yesterday. Reaching 100% in the eving and letting it plugged on to the AC outlet all night. This sucks! This means I can not use the 3 sec of pre-recording.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Somehow this is a hardware problem. Swap at the store if possible or use the Contact Support link at the bottom here.

RRRemco
Guide
Guide
2 Faulty cameras out of 4???
I havent tried the other ones yet.
RRRemco
Guide
Guide
Still not working. Camera drains when permenantly connected to a power source and then it goes offline.
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Please contact the Support Team to further investigate this issue. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link. Arlo Tech Support

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@RRRemco wrote:
Still not working. Camera drains when permenantly connected to a power source and then it goes offline.

Does the camera function when you remove the battery (of course connecting it to the power source)?

Litig8r187
Tutor
Tutor
I have 2 Ultras doing the same thing. They are wired and will be fine for days even month, then suddenly (in less than 24 hours) drop from 100% to 1% or go completely off line. I’ve changed the power cables and the charging block but it makes no difference.
RRRemco
Guide
Guide
Welcome to my world. Arlo just denies the problem. Very disappointed. It means I have to litterally climb up the tree every x weeks.
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @Litig8r187

How far are your cameras from the base station? I sound like they might be having a random signal drop or interference to the base station. 

RRRemco
Guide
Guide
Distance is obviously not tge problem as the drain only occurs when wired/charging to a power outlet. Once the battery full it starts draining after a couple of hours if you dont disconnect it from the power supply.
Litig8r187
Tutor
Tutor
Less than 40’ but cameras are “hard wired”. They will go from 100% to 1% in 12 hours randomly.
Litig8r187
Tutor
Tutor
Yes
RRRemco
Guide
Guide
Thanks for the replies but all kind of not addressing the issue. The drain only and only happens when hard-wired. The battery holds its power for months if not plugged in a power outlet. When charging it first goes to 100% and then starts draining in less than a day if you dont disconnect it from a the power outlet.
Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
I have the same problem with one of my cameras plugged in if you unplug it and plug it back in it will start charging again. My solution is get a smart plug and how I have it set up at 2:00 a.m. in the morning I have the power shut off at 201am I have it turned back on. That starts the cycle again. Another crappy design by Arlo
Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
And now they want to start charging you for tech support. So when there stuff breaks due to some crappy firmware update they sent out now you can't even talk to him about it
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Johnny290 wrote:
And now they want to start charging you for tech support. 

Arlo doesn't charge for tech support.  If someone tries to charge, then you are dealing with a scam support site.

https://kb.arlo.com/000062119/How-can-I-avoid-Arlo-support-scams

Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
I guess you haven't gotten your latest email
Hi John,

Thanks for being a valued Arlo customer. At Arlo, we value building trusted lifelong customer relationships by delivering an exceptional user experience.

We want to let you know that we’re making changes to Arlo Support, effective October 4, 2021.

What's changing?

We’ve added new Priority Support services to benefit Arlo users with service plans and users currently on an Arlo trial, including:

Priority agent assignment

Support handled by expert agents

Access to agent assisted support via chat and phone

If you do not have a service plan or trial, you'll still be able to access these services if your device is within warranty:*

Access to agent assisted support via chat

Access to virtual assistant, Community, and self-help content

When your hardware warranty expires, you’ll continue to have access to Arlo’s virtual assistant, Community, and self-help content.

Next steps

If you need assistance with your device at any time, just navigate to Settings > Support in the Arlo App.

For Priority Support services, an Arlo service plan or trial will be required. To edit your service plan settings, log in to your Arlo account at
Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
Support options vary depending on your Arlo plan and your product’s warranty period. If you subscribe to Arlo Secure, Arlo CVR, or Arlo Smart, you have access to phone, email, and chat support with live agents. Arlo subscribers receive priority access to talk to the most experienced Arlo support agents
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Johnny290 wrote:
I guess you haven't gotten your latest email

Yes, just saw that email (but you had already replied).

Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
Discussion stats
  • 22 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation