Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
BryanDawson
Star
Star

HORRIBLE business practice.

Arlo has the audacity to automatically downgrade (via software) their 4K cameras to 2K *even on local recordings* and eliminate 4K streaming on a basic subscription. Their answer?

1) They expect customers to pay for an upgraded subscription to get the 4K they expect on 4K cameras.

2) Cancel subscription to avoid downsampling (but lose activity zones, 911, etc.)

Talk about a bait and switch. I don't mind 2K cloud recording (it's Arlo's servers), but they should have no right to DOWNSAMPLE a camera I purchased and videos on hardware I own and extort more money.

>>>>> AND before some "community manager" starts his "hardware limitation" BS, save it. This is PURELY an intentional SOFTWARE downsample and cynical upsell strategy. During the "free trial" I had 4K streaming on one device and my local recordings were 4K. If this not resolved I will take this to my 95,000 followers on Twitter.

51 REPLIES 51
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @BryanDawson

Please contact the Support Team regarding this. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link. Arlo Tech Support

michaeljf69
Star
Star

So Shayne are you suggesting that your support area can somehow create new plans to allow 4k local and 2k cloud recording? THIS IS NOT A SUPPORT ISSUE!

It is a purely greedy commercial decision by Arlo to suck more money from customers through bait and switch tactics.

BryanDawson
Star
Star

I spent hours with your poor, unfortunate team who has to deliver the news about your DECEPTIVE business practices. At first the tech support folks thought it was a bug, but then realized it was by design and, to get back 4K recording and streaming, recommended either cancelling my subscription (which meant losing basic features like activity zones, cloud recordings, and package detection) or paying double for an "elite" plan. NOWHERE has it been mentioned that they would do any of this. I understand limiting resolution on cloud recordings, but how dare you downsample a camera I OWN (and paid a lot of money for) and the videos on hardware I OWN.

I have 90,000 followers on Twitter, and if you don't fix this, I will be happy to go public. I have also informed Costco. THIS IS DECEPTIVE at best and the excuses (hardware limitation BS) you poor people are forced to post are worse.

dcfox1
Master
Master

@BryanDawson 

Can't help you with your issue but the elite plan is 5 bucks more then the premiere not double. 

BryanDawson
Star
Star

I’m paying 6 now, so yes, 10 would be nearly double.. Premier is 2.99 per camera while Elite is 4.99. I was off a buck.

But this is deflection from the issue. Arlo is pulling a bait and switch and software downsampling hardware that I own. I am not the only one complaining and it is obvious  Arlo doesn’t care.

demannu
Apprentice
Apprentice

yep this company is filled with deciptful greed, I couldn't care less about cloud recording but I have to pay a monthly sub for 4k local recording and "rich notification" that come standard with most of their competitors.. I really hate it that I have to be involved with this company but I've spent $3000 dollars on kit and can't just simply switch out to another product. 

I believe they've intentionally crippled thumb nails for local recording as well to make it a less attractive option. 

Their last TOS update just shows they reall don't care as it basically states that they can make any changes they want, whenever they want and you just have to put up with it. 

Gator911
Initiate
Initiate

Think we should file a class action lawsuit?

demannu
Apprentice
Apprentice

Apart of their new terms of service update is that you aren't allowed to join any class action lawsuit against them.. most likely because they expected one due to their dodgy business practices. 

They however did have an opt out clause but only gave everyone 30 days to opt out, which I immediately did.. 

BryanDawson
Star
Star

I contacted Arlo in a private DM on Twitter. Arlo responded with the typical “contact support” response.  I referred them to my open case. They haven’t responded since. I have a rather large social media following and told them I would go public, but wanted to give them a chance to resolve this privately. We all should take to social media to expose this. I will also contact Costco and might just return the system.

HoZr
Tutor
Tutor

My "trial" just ran out and now nothing works.  It's not "downsampled" it just won't even connect to the cameras. Acitivity zones don't work.  Recordings just cut off in the middle if they start at all. 

THERE IS NOTHING ON THE PACKAGING THAT SAYS A SUBSCRIPTION IS REQUIRED FOR THESE FEATURES.

As much as it pains me due to the amount of labor it will require I'm ripping these things out and returning them. ARLO can kiss my A$$.  Time to find a new manufacturer that can be honest.   

BryanDawson
Star
Star

So, they responded via private DM on Twitter with ridiculous lies. Check this non-answer out:

”Hello Bryan - Thanks for the info. Due to hardware limitations, Arlo Ultra cameras cannot stream to the cloud in 2K and simultaneously record locally in quality higher than 2K. However, Arlo Ultra can simultaneously stream to the cloud and locally in 4K. ^RM”

So, Arlo’s hardware is magical. If we accept the forced upgrade to “Elite,” their hardware limitations magically disappear and 4K local recording comes back. Must be the Arlo Elves or maybe Leprechauns that visit in the night and throw some hardware switch.

DannyUK
Guide
Guide

This popped up in my Arlo app on 3rd Sept 2020.

The forum will not allow me to upload the screenshot.

"Crystal Clear 4K Video

No matter your subscription status, your Arlo Ultra will locally stream 4K video and record 4K clips to your SmartHub (requires a microSD card)."

If there is a way to get the screenshot on the forum, let me know, you're more than welcome!

dcfox1
Master
Master

You can try the paperclip icon when you post.  

DannyUK
Guide
Guide

Yeah, thanks, I tried that but clicking on it doesn't actually do anything!

(Simple features not working? Sounds familiar!)

dcfox1
Master
Master

Did you try the camera emblem also. A mod has approve it and they are not here on a US holiday so you would just see a symbol. I never had a problem. 

DannyUK
Guide
Guide

Ahh, found the camera button, thanks!

Hope this helps with contacting support, if they won't change the firmware to allow it, then surely it warrants a free upgrade to the Elite plan?

4K4K

Edit: Guess that doesn't work either!

dcfox1
Master
Master

That is the symbol I said until a mod approves it when they are back. 

DannyUK
Guide
Guide

Sorry, when you said "a mod has approve it', I thought you meant that they had, not that they had to!

Let's hope it won't take long.

LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

DannyUK I have the pic but they won't let me post it.  If you attach it to a support case they offer a discount for a year.  Not as cheap as premier but a discount.  I'm tired of fighting with them so whatever, when my extended warranty runs out I'll just replace them.  Even some of the DVR/NVRs are starting to offer cloud services for those who want to add it but aren't dependent on the cloud for smart.

demannu
Apprentice
Apprentice

wait what? are you two being censored from posting something that'll inform the community relating to a product we all own? im really interested to know what it is now? 

DannyUK
Guide
Guide

Have uploaded it to my work website, lets see if linking it works?

Screenshot-2020-11-26-at-10.07.21

Edit: doesn't look like it! can I post the link directly? 

http://gallerythirtyone.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/Screenshot-2020-11-26-at-10.07.21.jpg 

Finally! Hope you can all see it now and use it when contacting support.

LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

glad to see it's finally showing DannyUK.  My cams are two years old so I doubt they still use this ad but for many that is what we bought and should be able to expect.

DannyUK
Guide
Guide
We have just had a new 4x Ultra camera kit arrive today, sounds stupid but the Black Friday deal was cheaper than the 2nd hand value of our existing kit.

We have now replaced all the work cameras with new ones and got another free year subscription as I refuse to pay for it! Because of this I basically removed everything from my account and added the new kit and whilst installing I have seen this notification pop up at least twice now so it very much is still current!

It’s been a year since I tried Activity Zones and they still don’t work!
TomCapps
Initiate
Initiate

I believe the only way to have Arlo acknowledge and rectify this issue is to go public. Unfortunately, they will only care if we make it widely known.  I'll do the same and I encourage others to do so as well.