Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Ultra Discharging while AC Power Connected. Why is this happening?

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
HazzMatt
Apprentice
Apprentice

Greetings, I am using several "allegedly compatible" outdoor Ultra AC-USB charging cords. However, several them will charge up to 100% and look stable for days, but then will start discharging for no reason and eventually shut the camera down due to zero charge, even though the camera is still connected to power and showing the proper charge symbol. This will happen even if there is no motion activity or live viewing.
What is it that makes this happen - anyone really know why? Also, is it the cord that somehow causes this or is it the plug the cable is connected to? I noticed that Arlo sells 25 foot outdoor charging cables but these don't come with a power plug, why? This leads me to believe that Arlo feels any AC to. USB Plug would suffice. Is there some electronics inside the Arlo cords themselves that will eliminate my issues if I use Arlo brand charging cables? Thanks for constructive advice.

9 REPLIES 9
Edinburgh_lad1
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
My original outdoor cable came with a plug, as far as I remember.

Not any power adaptor would be appropriate as they vary in their parameters.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@HazzMatt wrote:
I noticed that Arlo sells 25 foot outdoor charging cables but these don't come with a power plug

The Ultra's outdoor charging cable has a fully integrated power adapter -  it is not a combination of a power adapter and a removable cable.  

HazzMatt
Apprentice
Apprentice
I wish I left out the part about the plug, because the main part of my question didn't get answered
HazzMatt
Apprentice
Apprentice
Hi, I just reposted my exact same post but this time minus the part about plugs and cables, because the rest of my post was the more important question that didn't get answered.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@HazzMatt wrote:
I wish I left out the part about the plug, because the main part of my question didn't get answered

The outdoor charger is different from the indoor ones - the Arlo one charges at a higher voltage, which (among other things) allows for a longer cable length.

Third party chargers (and cables) might work, but might not.  Your inference that "Arlo thinks any charger will do" is incorrect.  Arlo doesn't support them, and doesn't give info on what the various cameras need.  So there's not much we can say, other then "use the Arlo accessories".

If you post the specific charger you are using, then some other user here might be able to share their experience (if they happen to have tried the same one).

Edinburgh_lad1
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Voltage must match. Amperage rate must match but can exceed. 

Outdoor cable would be different from an indoor one in the use of weatherproof insultation (cable and plug). Nothing else. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Edinburgh_lad1 wrote:

Outdoor cable would be different from an indoor one in the use of weatherproof insultation (cable and plug). Nothing else. 

You might think so, but my understanding is that the outdoor cable (with integrated adapter) is 9 volts, and the indoor charger/cable is 5.

HazzMatt
Apprentice
Apprentice
Thanks
Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
Use a pencil eraser clean the contacts on the camera and cable. They get tarnished
Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation