Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
vilvic
Star
Star

Having the camera automatically switching between 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz is causing me issues.  One of my cameras is constantly switching between the two.  When on 5Ghz I can't connect to the camera but when on 2.4Ghz I can. 

There really should be an option to be able to force the camera to stick to one or the other.  I do believe there should be an automatic setting for novice users which should be the default to automatic out of the box.  However, I should be able to override it when it I'm in this situation.  The alternative is to buy another base station and have it connect to that instead but that really is a very expensive sledgehammer to crack a nut.

It should be relatively easy to add this feature and save a lot of us a lot of trouble.  

4 REPLIES 4
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

vilvic,

What behavior are you experiencing that indicates this is what is happening? How far from your SmartHub is the camera that is having issues?

JamesC

vilvic
Star
Star
My camera connection strength alternates between an orange dot and 50%. I click on the camera with the orange dot, it doesn't connect. It then refreshes and I then have 50% connection strength and it works. When it fails to connect on an orange dot it seems to realise that I'm not able to connect so switches (at least I'm assuming that's what it is doing).
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

vilvic,

If possible, try elevating your SmartHub, this could improve the signal strength enough to allow the connection to remain stable. 

JamesC

vilvic
Star
Star
Everything was fine until I bought the doorbell which has a very weak signal. The base station was moved to accommodate the doorbell and I'm limited to what I can do with the base station.

I've seen other forum posts which give the same stock answers as you're giving me. Arlo could occasionally listen to the community instead and implement some of the necessary changes and also give better diagnostic tools instead of the very limited options we have.

I'm in this for nearly £1000 and quite frankly it's not good enough. I've had to order compatible 30ft cables from the US to the UK because they still aren't available here.

One of my cameras was faulty and the telephone support wad nothing short of shocking (including getting support emails in a different language). If it wasn't for Amazon changing the camera I'm sure I'd still have the faulty one.

Had I known all this before I wouldn't have bought anything from Arlo. Given that Arlo is Netgear I expected better.
Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation