Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo SmartHub Wifi Signal

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Larry808
Aspirant
Aspirant

Why do i have so much trouble getting a good connection between cameras and the SmartHub? I have a conventional single level, wood frame home and the cameras have a great deal of difficulty gaining and maintaining a connection with the SmartHub. Greatest distance between SH and cameras is about thirty feet. In one condition, i have a camera mounted twenty feet away from SH with a direct line of site to camera through a single pane window (no screen); and, this camera continually loses the connection with SH.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

I to have a single level wood frame 28 X 70 and still Arlo sometimes struggles.  One thing to remember is have space between router and the hub.  The cable I now use is 10 feet, also height matters. Mine is on top of a tall full room entertainment center (within a foot of the ceiling) and still had to raise it to within 5 inches of the ceiling for a good signal most of the time.  That usually gets me a full signal on 5 cameras and 2 bars on the other 2.  Occasionally one will drop to red but still works.  When it does I reboot the hub 2,3,4 times until it chooses channels that get me back to good on all 7.  Signals can be strange.  I originally used a wooden block to elevate but then for looks sake used a piece of vinyl rain gutter that matched the hub and signal increased and has been more consistent, go figure lol

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

I to have a single level wood frame 28 X 70 and still Arlo sometimes struggles.  One thing to remember is have space between router and the hub.  The cable I now use is 10 feet, also height matters. Mine is on top of a tall full room entertainment center (within a foot of the ceiling) and still had to raise it to within 5 inches of the ceiling for a good signal most of the time.  That usually gets me a full signal on 5 cameras and 2 bars on the other 2.  Occasionally one will drop to red but still works.  When it does I reboot the hub 2,3,4 times until it chooses channels that get me back to good on all 7.  Signals can be strange.  I originally used a wooden block to elevate but then for looks sake used a piece of vinyl rain gutter that matched the hub and signal increased and has been more consistent, go figure lol

Larry808
Aspirant
Aspirant

All good suggestions. My hub is now mounted on top of a tall cabinet, close to the ceiling. i'm using the ethernet cable that came with the system and have about six feet of separation between router and hub. Everything seems to be working correctly now. Appreciate all the advice from everyone.

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation