Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 37 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 11 In Conversation
srandall25
Apprentice
Apprentice

I have programmed my Arlo Security Light to start recording on my Arlo Ultra camera if motion is detected; however it is not working. I have two different security lights and cameras for the front and back yard setup this way, but neither works.

I just tested this tonight. If i walk in front of the security light, the motion sensor triggers and the light turns on. I then check a few minutes later (even later) and there is no video in the video library for the this event. I do notice the camera light comes on upon triggering the security light.. but it apparently is not recording.

I have attached a screen shot showing the settings for the security light. I have added the device for the Front Yard camera, and set this to record. I have done this same setting for my backyard security light and camera as well. Same result. Please take note that the motion sensor is triggering because the light comes on, so this is not an issue with the motion sensitivity setting.

37 REPLIES 37
KenC
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thanks for the feedback, but I made different settings to ensure that I could tell what was triggering the video capture.

Here's my DOE - let me know what you think:

For the light detection I set the video capture time to be 90sec and for the camera trigger I set the video capture time to be "until motion stops" in the rules section under modes.

I then used my garage door to trigger the motion, so that there was no other active motion within the camera or the lights motion detection.  And based upon where my camera is placed usually the garage door doesn't trigger the video, but if it does it would usually be around 12-17 secs of video.

Anyhow, what showed up on the cloud were exactly 90s videos when I opened the garage door and again when I closed it.  So, it appears to be that the Arlo Security Light was triggering the motion and not the camera.  

srandall25
Apprentice
Apprentice

Do you have alerts setup for the security camera? If so, did you receive a motion alert for the security camera?

KenC
Apprentice
Apprentice

Yes, have alerts set for both camera and lights.  Just reconfirmed that the alert for only the security light was activated, NO alert for camera received.  I did notice that in one of the videos there was a little delay (<1 sec) in the camera being activated today.  While the other video clip started without any apparent delay.

srandall25
Apprentice
Apprentice
This is the Arlo Ultra?
KenC
Apprentice
Apprentice

Yes, it's an Arlo Ultra.  I do have it plugged into an electrical outlet for constant power.

srandall25
Apprentice
Apprentice
I have a rule set to record on my camera when motion is sensed on my security light. I continue to get motion alerts with my security lights and no associated cloud recordings but the recording will be there on the sd card. Arlo support actually replicated this problem months ago. Arlo created a ticket for me on this but I have yet to hear of any fix action from them on this. And it still behaves exactly the same as it did before. I haven’t seen any firmware update acknowledging this since this ticket was created as well.
KenC
Apprentice
Apprentice

Yes, me too.  Had exactly the same problem.  I did delete my original rule and just tried it on a whim since there have been app updates.  Since I hadn't seen anything on this thread, I thought I would throw it out there.  It really looks like it's working again for me.  

srandall25
Apprentice
Apprentice
I’ll try deleting the rule and recreating it.
KenC
Apprentice
Apprentice

Only other things I can think of that I did were power cycling both of the Hubs (PG&E forced me too) and Changing out the batteries on Lights since they needed to be recharged.

srandall25
Apprentice
Apprentice
Two hubs? Referring to the security light hub and the camera hub?
KenC
Apprentice
Apprentice

Yes, the hub for the lights and the hub for the cameras.

brh
Master
Master

I had this problem for awhile, but it seems to be working well for me lately. I have 7 Ultras, 1 Pro3 and 2 Pro2 cameras. I created a Custom mode in which I set the cross triggering to 25 seconds if the Light triggers the recordings and 20 seconds to turn on the lights and record to all the selected cameras if one of the cameras starts the recording. 

If one of the light's motion detection in, say, the back of my house, all 3 lights will turn on and all 4 cameras will record for 25 seconds in turn. If one of the camera's motion detection starts the recording the all 3 lights will turn on and each camera will record for 20 seconds in turn.

All of my cameras are on solar panels or straight batteries.

I don't know if this had anything to do with this problem, but at one time I had to remove each camera from my account, (one camera at a time), and add it back to the account. After each camera was added back, I power cycled the hub. 

Brian

KenC
Apprentice
Apprentice

This one is weird for me.  I still see some problems now and then.  Somewhat intermittent issues with the lights.  Thank you for your info.  I'll try wiping everything again later.

Discussion stats
  • 37 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 11 In Conversation