Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 15 Replies
  • 7 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation
demannu
Apprentice
Apprentice

4x Arlo 4k running firmware 1.070.50.3_216_cfb9b8d

1x Arlo ultra "smart" hub running firmware 1.16.1.3_510_1a608c1

1x Arlo "smart" elite subscription

Arlo app version 2.16(260)

Testing done using a iphone 8 plus and an iphone 6 plus.

All my cameras  bandwidth signals are showing STRONG

Smart hub cabled into a gigabit switch. 

Internet connection is fibre 1000mbit download 500mbit upload 

Home wireless network consists of 2x  ubiquiti nano HD's, from my phone anywhere in the house is full signal and even though internet speed test has nothing to do with local live view, I can get between 400-600mb down/up doing speed test to show there is plenty of available local bandwidth for me to "local stream" these cameras.. 

I have gone through Arlo support, I patiently played along with them hoping that it would get escalated they got me to do a bunch of pointless things like cable the smart hub directly into my router.. add and remove cameras, reinstall the app, it was like a time wasting exercise. It is clear they are all non technical and my support ticket got closed off because I didn't reply back to them within 24 hours even though they kept me waiting 72 hours between each response - hows the for fair? im clearly just sitting around all day doing nothing waiting for arlo "support" 

The system is only 6 weeks old. 

My list of problems are

Live view is UNUSABLE, there is a massive 20-30 seconds delay in audio and video, making them pointless for 2 way audio or security. when you are on live view and someone is there they move in slow motion and youre forever fighting with the audio delay.

"Smart" notifications are far to slow, you're notified after the fact. People ring my door bell and I've already walked downstairs and opened the door before I get an arlo "smart notification".. package delivery? delivery driver already driven away before you get a notification.. painful when you need to sign for the package.. 

Scary thought.. I had a meter reader come around 1 week ago could have easily been an intruder.. he had come through the side gate, read the meter, taking his readings and left before I was notified.. 

I've read all the excuses that some of the delays are related arlos servers having the wake the cameras up due to them being battery powered, fair enough I can appreciate that. however for testing purposes I bought on of the cameras inside, took the battery out and plugged it directly into a power source, no more than 1-2 meters away from the "smart hub" and this resulted in absolutely zero improvement in responsiveness of the cameras or notifications.

Is my entire system a dud? is something wrong with my "smart" elite account? is there any way possible to fix this? my system is completely  unusable in this state and I want it to work as im extremely out of pocket spending $3000 in my local currency to buy arlo ultra 3 pack, 1 additional camera, 3 solar panels, 2 extra batteries and a dual battery charger... plus another $60 on the outdoor security mounts... is this system a gimmick or does it actually work for some people? I feel like i've wasted far to much time reading forums and tweaking stuff to try and make this work where its not marketed to work in the way it works for me.. can someone please help?

15 REPLIES 15
demannu
Apprentice
Apprentice

Just to add to this, these issues have been going on since day one, I have however only updated the app to 2.16 within the last couple of days and have noticed a couple of problems....

1. the library is now very SLOW to load and update with new content

2. when you click the "smart" notification it bring up a library view with a filter of the area.. which is fine but after that you cant turn the filter off.. I used to be able to tap the little "x" but now it just stays there.. only way I can get rid of it is by closing and reopening the app.. sigh.. selecting filters normally works so this only happens from "smart" notifications.. 

3. I keep getting signed out of the app, making it even slower or means I wont receive notifications.. 

demannu
Apprentice
Apprentice

oh yeah.. 

4. multi factor push notification for when logging into the web site does not work anymore either 

seriously shaking my head while typing this..  

dcfox1
Master
Master

Im getting the same problem u do in number two. Tap the notification and  it shows that vid in the filtered cam but cant get out of that cams filter with the x have to get  out of library and comming back to library. Didn't have to get out of app though.

LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

I don't have enough knowledge of cloud services as to what effect differing things might have on it.  What I do know from personal use, without having changed anything on my end.  The response time to both the cloud and live 4K was a lot faster 16 months ago.  All video will have lag over wi-fi so I was surprised how quick it was.  However as time goes by it has continually gotten slower and this last firmware killed it. I went from impressed to depressed.

demannu
Apprentice
Apprentice

lucky for you there was a honeymoon period, I've gone straight into depressed 

Zibrz
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same problems with such long “connecting” time as to make this piece of merchandise worthless. Question: can anyone tell me how to actually contact Arlo for support? I don’t mean getting trapped in the bot with looping questions, nor being shuttled off to Just Answer, which I fell for once and had a nightmare trying to cancel them. I mean a real Arlo support technical human. Anyone, or doesn’t Arlo actually care?

demannu
Apprentice
Apprentice

Amazing how the Arlo moderators completely ignored this thread.

Anyone would have thought they knew this product is not fixable and the people that have funded their jobs just have to deal with these problems. 

at least half a dozen firmware and app updates since starting this thread and zero improvement. 

Cwmmmm
Luminary
Luminary
I experience the same issues, but if you have access to HomeKit, for some reason when it loads the live stream, there is no lag at all. In the arlo app the lag is out of this world, they need to trash the app and rework it from the ground up and build it for speed and reliability. The hardware is probably the best on market for being completely wire free but the software isn’t there. If you do have apple try HomeKit out and see the difference, it’s snappy fast but the app is a complete dud.
Nelchior
Tutor
Tutor

I believe that because the video feed in homekit is in 1080p, not in 4K

jaw_wilton
Initiate
Initiate
I, too, am having network stability issues after installing one Arlo Ultra 4K. I have three others yet to install. Delays in loading and drag on network unacceptable for $1k price tag.
Nelchior
Tutor
Tutor
Indeed! I returned mine this week already. Never buying a Arlo product ever again 🙂
LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

Until they screwed me out of it I was quite happy with the original plan.  1080P cloud, 4K live and 4K to the SD but I know we all have differing things we want from our system.  For me the cloud is just a quick check on a notification and the 4K live with snapshot and 4K backup was important.  The higher the res to the cloud the greater the lag that's just how it is.  However they give you many user options in the app so why not make the res to the cloud a user option and people can see what's best for their needs.  As long as you pay for a plan they shouldn't care.  Still won't like paying more than the original would have cost but could have what works for me.

Cwmmmm
Luminary
Luminary
Not true, even my regular pros, and pro 2s have super lag on the arlo app, on home kit it’s snappy and literally no delay at all.
Clandestined
Aspirant
Aspirant
Had the same problem. Plenty of bandwidth but delayed response. Sq footage of my home is large so installed mesh routing system ; linksys velop so my 1 gig bandwidth doesn’t degrade throughout the house. You probably have smart devices. I have more than 80. Tri band mesh routing solved my issue to a 1 second delay.
demannu
Apprentice
Apprentice

how does that work? Arlo's work independently of your home wifi.. they connect over Arlo's propriety wifi  to the "smart" hub.. my cameras show "STRONG" bandwidth back to the "smart" hub via the camera positioning menu under device utilities in the arlo app.  really interested to know as I would be more than fine with a 1 second delay.. im running 3x ubiquiti nanoHD's and get anywhere from 700-800mb at any location throughout my home. 

Discussion stats
  • 15 Replies
  • 7 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation