Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
chip0
Star
Star

I've been through the other closed threads about Modes not appearing and I have updated my Android app to the latest version that claims to fix a missing Modes tab, but my problem is that the tab generally takes 10-20 seconds to appear after starting the Android app. Why is the tab hidden by default when launching the app??  This is very annoying if the entire reason we are opening the app is to change the Mode. 

9 REPLIES 9
chip0
Star
Star

note I have already recently performed a full clean reinstall of the app because I was having triple push notifications for each alert. . Followed someone's guidance on turning off Android backup/restore feature, clearing the app cache, reinstalling, which fixed that alert problem (beyond me why Arlo doesn't fix the problem themselves).

Yet the delay for Modes appearing remains.

Does the delay for Modes appearing happen on iOS? 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

chip0,

When first launching the Arlo mobile app a slight delay in device status collection is expected. This results in the mode tab being displayed after a short delay. If you leave the app running in the background, this should reduce the delay when opening the app back up.

JamesC

chip0
Star
Star
Hi JamesC

https://youtu.be/n-PdGiku9EE

This is 10-20 seconds when opening the app. Always. Is that what you call a short delay? To me that is too long for a critical function of changing the armed status of the system.

Any idea why is it even hidden in the first place? Shouldn't it be shown from the start, since once the tab is finally is visible, the tab still says that it is gathering info..
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

chip0,

I don't have details on specifically why the mode tab appearing is delayed but the behavior in your video is normal. The mode cannot be changed until the device status is collected, which typically takes around 15 seconds.

JamesC

chip0
Star
Star

Hi JamesC

Android:

I dont think 10-15+ seconds for the GUI to show the Modes tab button should be considered normal. That is very slow and very strange behavior. It appears to be a bug in the Android app?

iOS:
I think the Modes tab button the iOS app does not start out hidden? 

Web:

Also the Modes tab button is not hidden on the web portal either, and that loads within 1-2 seconds of clicking on it.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

chip0,

I spoke with the development team about this delay and it appears they are working on a future release that should help alleviate the time it takes for device collection, which will result in both the mode tab and devices being accessible faster. I don't have an ETA for this release but will provide an update when I know more.

JamesC

chip0
Star
Star

Hi JamesC

Thank you for looking into this further. That is good news. The improvement should benefit everyone.

chip0
Star
Star

Hi JamesC

Thank you for looking into this further. That is good news. The improvement should benefit everyone.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It should also be noted that it depends on the phone in use, too. On my Pixel 3 XL, I force closed the app and cleared the cache. Upon logging back in, it took ~5 seconds to display the Mode tab and about 15 seconds for the cameras to display their status (the various icons below the live view thumbnail). Older phones are slower, sometimes considerably.

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation