Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Whuff
Star
Star

After the update of the Arlo app on August 22, 2022 , when I try to access my Smarthub,I keep getting this message: There was an error obtaining your library. Arlo team is working on this issue. It has been almost a month and it is still not working!!

Best answers
  • ShayneS
    Arlo Moderator
    Arlo Moderator

The development team is actively investigating these reports on this issue. We are working on a resolution. As soon as I have more information to share I will provide an update.

• JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

This issue has been escalated and the development team is currently investigating these reports. I will provide an update as soon as I have more information.

JamesC

• ShayneS
    Arlo Moderator
    Arlo Moderator

The VMB5000 and VMB4540 received an update yesterday. The VMB4000 and VMB4500 will have an update released today. Your Base station/SmartHub will update automatically, so please continue to wait for the updates. 

Thank you

251 REPLIES 251
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Mannda wrote:
I use Arlo ultra 2 , and it’s connected to the base station with a super fast USB device.

What base station model do you have?

Have you ever been able to access local recordings from the Ultra?

Have you tried ejecting the USB storage from the base, and then connecting it to a PC?  Then review the footage, and see if you can find any recordings for the Ultra.

Mannda
Tutor
Tutor
Base station vmb4540

Yes i can access all the videos, but not access them on the app.

Thats whats so frustrating
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Mannda wrote:
Yes i can access all the videos, but not access them on the app.

If you have a subscription, you could use phone support (look for it in the support section of the app).

Mannda
Tutor
Tutor
Thank you for responding

I don’t have a subscription, and I’m sure Arlo let users see their recordings without paid subscription, but for some reason their app doesn’t work like it should.

We need to report this as a big problem !
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Mannda wrote:

I don’t have a subscription, and I’m sure Arlo let users see their recordings without paid subscription, but for some reason their app doesn’t work like it should.

They do have the direct access to local storage feature - you can check that it is enabled in the app (you won't see the settings in your browser).

I have noticed that the local recording list can take a while to populate, and the 700 recordings a day might have something to do with your issue.  Is there any way you can temporarily reduce that (disarming some cameras for instance)?

Mannda
Tutor
Tutor

Hmm, good question.

I already reduced the sensitivity and activity zones In order to reduce High number of recordings.

Unfortunately this is how many recordings I have,

If I reduce the sensitivy more then I will lose the point of having the cameras up.

Hope this bug will reported to the Arlo support team. As far as I can see this is not a unique problem. This user also experienced same issues as me.

See the link here https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-Ultra/Not-able-to-view-recordings-on-local-storage-in-months-Arlo...

Screendump link:

https://ibb.co/Y3hr1DH

App settings on my iphone 

9516BF1F-F559-4948-B183-B5CB3B6C5ED8.png

70AF2338-22A3-4D0B-8298-E7FABAED244E.png

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Mannda wrote:

Unfortunately this is how many recordings I have,

If I reduce the sensitivy more then I will lose the point of having the cameras up.

Understood.  But I am thinking it would be helpful as a troubleshooting step.  Maybe just arm one camera for one day, and see if that makes a difference.

It would also be good to check the app settings, and make sure it is allowed to use your local (wifi) network.

@Mannda wrote:

Hope this bug will reported to the Arlo support team. As far as I can see this is not a unique problem.

Tagging @JamesC and @ShayneS (Arlo mods), who can follow up on that bit.

There are some issues with direct access to local storage - I'm also experiencing one (but not with your symptoms).

Mannda
Tutor
Tutor

B62BBF35-530D-4529-8B8E-B0D11D2DAF13.jpeg

Okey, will turn off one Camera and see if this helps

Mad_cow
Apprentice
Apprentice
And around and around we go.

Do we have an ETA?

Why do I bother keeping this system if it can't do basic things?
bwdavis7
Tutor
Tutor

Same silly suggestions.  Fix the app. It is broke.

Mad_cow
Apprentice
Apprentice
Here we are again. Still no fix.

Someone did log a ticket for me, I got the automated email repose saying someone will contact me in 1-2 days. It has almost been 2 weeks and still nothing.
daveoftheworld
Aspirant
Aspirant

You used to have my recorded videos available on SD, why can't i use that anymore..now im forced to sign up each camera for a monthly cloud fee?

Last few years i just used to 'live' feed to check my house, I stopped my recording schedule due to so many email updates, I've just moved house again and trying to figure out how to setup like it was when i purchased it.

Not 100% sure what model camera i have

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@daveoftheworld wrote:

Not 100% sure what model camera i have

Likely an Ultra or Ultra 2.  But you can confirm that if you open the camera, remove the battery, and look for a label that starts with VMC.  If you post that label we can confirm the model for you.

@daveoftheworld wrote:

You used to have my recorded videos available on SD, why can't i use that anymore..now im forced to sign up each camera for a monthly cloud fee?

The VMB5000 does support direct access to local storage.  Have you enabled that?  Note you might want to reformat the microSD card (which you can do from the app).

daveoftheworld
Aspirant
Aspirant

IMG_5949.jpg

 I also purchased a new SD card that from reading your group chat definitely worked, Not for me tho can i get some more help with this.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@daveoftheworld wrote:  

 I also purchased a new SD card that from reading your group chat definitely worked, Not for me tho can i get some more help with this.

As you saw from the label, you have an Ultra camera.

Can you give more details on the local storage issue?

1. did you format the microSD card using the app?
  2. did you enable the local storage option in the app?
  3. is the app reporting any issue with the card or saying that videos are not available?
  4. have you tried removing the card and putting in a PC?  Then check to see if anything is recorded on it?

Also, when you go into the library in the app, do you see the smarthub name at the top? If you don't, try touching "library" or "cloud".  You should then see an option to select the smarthub.

daveoftheworld
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi mate, Thanks for the support here..

1. Yes i formatted it

2. Yes everything is set to record locally / overwrite auto / direct storage access

3.  message: " Videos stored on ARLO.... are not available. please check your connection settings."

4. I don't have a PC. Through the app it recognises the card and says connection is good and available storage...

and yes i can chose the smart hub ( not cloud ) in library tho nothing has recorded, however when i switch to cloud and back to local the message pops up.. " Videos stored on ARLO.... are not available. please check your connection settings."

I am getting email motion alerts but not recording.

I am on the same 2.4ghz network

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@daveoftheworld wrote:

Hi mate, Thanks for the support here..

1. Yes i formatted it

2. Yes everything is set to record locally / overwrite auto / direct storage access

3.  message: " Videos stored on ARLO.... are not available. please check your connection settings."

4. I don't have a PC. Through the app it recognises the card and says connection is good and available storage...

and yes i can chose the smart hub ( not cloud ) in library tho nothing has recorded, however when i switch to cloud and back to local the message pops up.. " Videos stored on ARLO.... are not available. please check your connection settings."

I am getting email motion alerts but not recording.

I am on the same 2.4ghz network

Thanks.  I have this issue with one of my VMB5000 smarthubs (the other works correctly).  Arlo suggested removing cameras and the base from the account, resetting the base, and re-onboarding.

I haven't gotten around to trying this yet (since I have a subscription, direct access isn't essential).

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Does this issue occur over the web portal as well? 

Whuff
Star
Star

It happens in the Arlo app. I don't know anything about a web portal. I use the Arlo app

Catchbag
Apprentice
Apprentice

I have exactly the same message on Arlo Ultra. Connected to same wifi as Hub.

Catchbag
Apprentice
Apprentice

And yes, nothing in libray in web portal.

Catchbag
Apprentice
Apprentice

Exact same problem here, was working, now not. So what have they broken this time in an update! And its been nearly a month. inexcusible!

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Can you reboot your smart hub and try again, it looks like your device has been updated to the latest firmware. This release was supposed to resolve the issue you are experiencing. If it still occurs, I will escalate this for you ASAP.

Thank you 

Catchbag
Apprentice
Apprentice

Have restarted again, same error.Screenshot_20220923-115730_Arlo_Secure[1].jpg

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hey @Catchbag

I sent you a private message. Were you able to send the log over?

Thanks