Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

AC power has been disconnected from your Arlo device. Activity Zones are currently disabled

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
Highlighted
Tutor
Tutor

I have searched the forum - where this issue has been solved is not correct. The issue disappeared! Cause and effect have not been explained..

Issue these cameras have never been on Alternating Current power supplies and for a reason yet to be explained this warning pops up. One explanation was to just ignore it  - Does that mean the Activity Zones are or are not working?

Another explanation is  the error went away!

Arlo does not know their own product well enough to provide a rational cause and effect.

The cameras appear to be working, BUT if there is a feature one decided to BUY Arlo and that feature is unreliable or questionable, then ARLO has an obligation to be more forth coming  other than closing a problem because it randomly disappeared, or some folk lore solution. Arlo should be able to state the reason why this warning appears for systems that have never been on AC and this is how the warning can be resolved. AND the assurance that what ever features were paid for are still working, such as Activity Zones. Especially is that is a market differenetiator

Model: VMC5040 | Arlo Ultra Wire-Free Camera
Highlighted
Guru Guru
Guru

@411TTWB wrote:

One explanation was to just ignore it  - Does that mean the Activity Zones are or are not working?

Another explanation is  the error went away!

I've seen this myself.  I've also seen some cases where the activity zone menu disappears on my phone for a while.  Both symptoms need to be fixed.

An explanation as to whether the activity zones are still working would be nice.  Though if they aren't working,  you just end up with more recordings than you want.  Not great, but better than missing recordings you care about. 

So in my opinion, it is safe to ignore the warning if you can live with the extra notifications.

Highlighted
Tutor
Tutor

Thanx for the reply

Today 3 of the 4 camera reporting the problem. Yesterday only 1 of 4 ; I'll see what tomorrow brings!

Highlighted
Aspirant
Aspirant

Activity Zones require 110v permanent wiring, sucks.

Highlighted
Tutor
Tutor

Thanx for your response.

The Arlo Ultra Wire-Free Camera has no provision for being AC powered. It is only powered by the battery or induction via the solar panel or the separate battery charger - See User Manual Section 2 starting on page 8 of 79.

This is why the notification is an error. It was not there when I first installed it. It is only recent. It is probably after some "update " was made to the something (app, smart hub)

The FAQ sections does state (User Manual page 70 of 79:

"Connecting your camera to the Arlo Solar Panel (sold separately) to charge the
battery does n’t provide AC power. To use activity zones and CVR, you must plug the camera into an AC power outlet."

There is no way I can see AC power applied to the wire free Ultra camera.

This would imply the FAQ is wrong.

Issues could be:

1. In editing the manual FAQ section,  someone did a "cut paste" from a wired camera and did not know the Arlo Ultra wire-free product.

2. An update to the Arlo system (hub, application,camera) removed the condition that the Ultra has no AC power options and that is why I did not get the errors for the first nine months, but do now

3. English as the FAQ states "Activity zone and CVR aren't working. CVR is not a term used anywhere in the manual except in the FAQ and page 18/79 in description of the app (CVR subscribers). [see https://kb.arlo.com/1018425/What-is-continuous-video-recording-CVR-and-how-do-I-use-it. ] Maybe it is a condition that both Activity zone and CVR ,,, versus either? I can't tell if the activity zones are working as edited. I have the initial prime subscription which may include CVR

In reading "What is continuous video recording -CVR and how to use it it states in the openning sentence "Continuous video recording (CVR) is an optional feature available on Arlo Ultra,...." but goes on to state: "Note: ... CVR is not available for Arlo Pro or Arlo Wire-Free cameras. ..."

Clearly the FAQ is poorly written or wrong or not applicable!

In reviewing the Arlo Ultra series NONE of the cameras can be powered by AC. They are all powered by DC batteries. These batteries can be charged while in the camera body by either the solar panel accessory or the magnetic coupling cable that comes with the AC-DC power supply.

The reason for my post is to understand why does this notification now occur because:

A. It is not applicable to the camera.

B. It never occurred until after nine months - so Arlo support should identify what changed - cause and effect please.

Arlo needs to update the manual, and make it clear on the advertising literature what the Ultra series can and cannot do with respect to activity zones and CVR

Arlo needs to provide status as to how Arlo support is going to resolve the issue and in the mean time provide assurances that the Activity Zones ARE working as described in the users manual.

Highlighted
Aspirant
Aspirant

I attempted to setup an 'Activity Zone' to cut out regular Carr traffic, I was getting hundreds of useless alert daily, that is when the notice popped up claiming I needed 110v power.  So I hooked up the supplied charging cord and a USB Battery and the notice went away, removing the charging battery brought back the notice on 110v power.

I see Arlo says the Ultra is Wireless & Wired, but I'm not interested in 'wired'.  I don't know why an 'Activity Zone' needs full time wired power hookup and now I don't care, I sent it all back for a refund.  Not ready for prime time.

Highlighted
Tutor
Tutor

Thanx for the response. I'll see what happens when I place it on the charger (USB cable with magnetic connection/interface to camera) that is still not AC, but maybe considered a "constant" power source. It is possible that's what Arlo means. But still I'd like to know why am I getting these alerts now when I did not get them before.

Thanx again

Highlighted
Aspirant
Aspirant

I too have the same issue. Hundreds of false hits per day. I have the Smart subscription already, which separate conversations suggested is what you need, but the idea that I can only use it if I have it plugged int AC power is a complete con. I bought the systems and the premium subscription based on wireless / battery system

Arlo support team, please respond ASAP, or I will take my query to the external review sites.

Thank you.

Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

The development team is investigating reports of this issue. I will provide an update as soon as I have more information.

JamesC

Highlighted
Aspirant
Aspirant
Any update?
Highlighted
Aspirant
Aspirant

Been waiting months for Arlo to fix this problem.  A review of community messages shows this may have been a problem way back to 2018.  The Activity Zones are suppose to work with a subscription regardless of whether you use a wireless or wired connection.  It doesn't.  I decided to cancel my subscription today.  They listed all the things I would lose with a cancellation.  All the things listed were included in the subscription but to my knowledge none of them work so it would seem I'm not losing anything since most of the services weren't available to begin with.  Before cancelling all I got was motion detection.  With cancellation all I get is motion detection but I say the cost of the subscription.  Looks like I'm ahead.  If Arlo gets this fixed they can contact me.  Otherwise I'm taking all the equipment back next week.  It's under warranty until July 2020. 

Model: VMB4000 | Arlo Pro/Pro2 Base Station
Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation