Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

AC power has been disconnected from your Arlo device. Activity Zones are currently disabled

Discussion stats
411TTWB
Star
Star

I have searched the forum - where this issue has been solved is not correct. The issue disappeared! Cause and effect have not been explained..

Issue these cameras have never been on Alternating Current power supplies and for a reason yet to be explained this warning pops up. One explanation was to just ignore it  - Does that mean the Activity Zones are or are not working?

Another explanation is  the error went away!

Arlo does not know their own product well enough to provide a rational cause and effect.

The cameras appear to be working, BUT if there is a feature one decided to BUY Arlo and that feature is unreliable or questionable, then ARLO has an obligation to be more forth coming  other than closing a problem because it randomly disappeared, or some folk lore solution. Arlo should be able to state the reason why this warning appears for systems that have never been on AC and this is how the warning can be resolved. AND the assurance that what ever features were paid for are still working, such as Activity Zones. Especially is that is a market differenetiator

58 REPLIES 58
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

The development team is investigating reports of this issue. I have no new information at this time. I will provide an update as soon as I have more to share.

JamesC

Naiyas
Guide
Guide

Hi @411TTWB 

Just to clarify, when I say "AC power" I mean they have to be powered via the AC-DC adaptor and magnetic charging cable - I use the outdoor magnetic charging cable myself. In essence they need the full wattage provided by the AC-DC adaptor plugged into the mains supply as the solar panel does not provide sufficient wattage.

I'm only 5-10 days in to Arlo and my setup has no issues currently as my current use cases appear to remediate most of the issues. BUT my plans to expand would create usage issues, notably the activity zones problem which I also understood to be a feature when under battery power.

With regards to the warnings:

1. I get the following warning when editing Activity zones in the iOS app and the web app (on Safari): "To enable Activity Zones, please connect your device to AC power. You can still edit, and or remove at any time."
  2. I also get a warning flag when a zone is set on the relevant camera in the Devices home screen in the iOS app.

BUT these warnings only show in the follow cases for me regardless of iOS or web app:

1. Warning (a) shows if NO activity zones exist;
  2. Warning (b) shows when an activity zone is added or updated and the app remains open. It disappears once closing the app and reopening.

BOTH warnings disappear when the camera is powered via the AC-DC adaptor and magnetic charging cable.

411TTWB
Star
Star

Naiyas, Thanx for your response!

I agree with you with respect to wattage (power), alternating current, and direct current, where watts are equal to the product of volts and current. I also suspect you are right, insufficient wattage.  Battery provides 3.85 volts and rated at 18.48 Watt-hours. The AC adapter provides 5 volts DC at 2 amps. Not the issue.

The issue is knowing what one is buying, what do notifications really mean, and why something in the systems so basic (I’ll use your term) such as wattage to drive a camera after 7+ months is now insufficient to cause a warning. It used to work!  Maybe it shouldn't have! 🙂

We can trouble shoot and speculate on the reason. Not the issue – that’s a hobby! A fun hobby! But not why I bought this system

Arlo never uses the term watts or wattage. Arlo only uses the term “AC power”. This is reasonable because the wired cameras do have an AC source. ULTRA cameras do not. For Ultra Camera, it is either misleading or an error in copying earlier versions of manuals and not taking the time to edit. (Exception being the note)

Only in the manual as a note page 56 of 63 does it say "Note: Connecting your camera to the Arlo Solar Panel (sold separately) to charge the battery does not provide AC power. To use activity zones and CVR, you must plug the camera into an AC power outlet."

But even this can be misleading, because if the solar panel does not provide AC power, who thinks the AC Adapter does provides AC power? It doesn't!

Resolve: If the advantage to have a wireless camera is flexibility in placement then, resolve if one knew in advance that one would NOT obtain the advertised features/functions unless the camera is wired would one buy the system? The market discriminator is no longer! There are tons of wired cameras. So what should one conclude? I think the good of Arlo. The note on page 56 is an indication of this. But I only discovered that after it appeared to be not working. Shame on me for not reading the note section of the manual before buying!

That is the literature issue  - they need to get it right.

But what is the technical reason for it working and no longer working?

What could possibly cause the state to change after 7 + months on a wireless system? (Meaning it worked in spite of note on page 56).  Some software firmware upgrade. But more likely is the capacity of the rechargeable batteries are not providing sufficient wattage, even after a recharge, as they did when new. This could be a cause and effect. Not my hobby; Arlo’s to understand and provide insight.

By the way - specs on the battery life 3-6 months! Of course this is depending on all sorts of factors identified in the manual.  I have never gotten over 6 weeks and now with the heat I am replacing the battery about once every ten days - they are probably "on their last legs." ( I have 4 cameras and 6 batteries with the dual charger.. Extremely easy to change out batteries)

WRT to your warnings – again thanx. I do not get any warnings such as those on my iPhone, again for Ultra Camera have not experienced your other two warnings. Providing your warnings will help others probably feel more comfortable if they get the same things.

My issue is either the advertising literature and the manual are misleading, except the one note, or the product is failing after 7 months, because it used to work and there were no warnings.

Today my subscription ended as my one year is over. Without a subscription for Arlo one can still have unlimited ultra-cameras, no cloud recordings, no person, vehicle, animal and package detection (never really worked anyway – reported elsewhere with no response), no activity zones (nothing about required wattage) live stream, and receive notification. What can’t one get?  Integrated sensor reporting and activity zone detection (people, animal, package ). Since I am currently getting activity zone disabled warnings while under a premium subscription there is zero reason to re-subscribe. I’d be paying for a feature that a wireless system experience tells me (contrary to the advertisement and the manual also cited very early in this thread) will not work; i.e. warnings that I need wired AC adapter.

I thought that this would have been resolved by now so I could have value in a subscription.

To JamesC! (message 26 of 27) Thank you for your response! I understand the development team is working this issue. I appreciate your assurance.

History to date is:

28 April Issue reported

13 MAY “The development team is investigating reports of this issue. We will provide an update as soon as we have more information.” Message 11

22 May “The development team is investigating reports of this issue. I will provide an update as soon as I have more information.” Message 17

08 June “The development team is investigating reports of this issue. I have no new information at this time. I will provide an update as soon as I have more to share.” MSG 26

Stealth02
Aspirant
Aspirant

I just bought the arlo ultra system and received the free 1 year trial.

the notes states that you get the cloud active zones with the free trail.

My cloud active zones does not work and the system keeps telling me that I need to plug my cameras into power for the active zones to work.............

How do I fix this??????

Oldblade
Guide
Guide

James,

How is the issue going ?

S_A_M
Aspirant
Aspirant

I suspect the usual cut and paste response. Just noticed a firmware pushed to the one camera I have running. Problem not solved.

"AC power has been disconnected from your Arlo device. Activity Zones are currently disabled."

These cameras are an overpriced and over-rated joke.

Oldblade
Guide
Guide

James 

I hope this helps I have put up a video of the issue I am having here is a link 

Please get this sorted the notifications are driving me crazy

https://youtu.be/bfUeElwdPnc

theconnect81022
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am having the same issue.  After my free trial ended, this error appeared.  I look forward to an update.

411TTWB
Star
Star

Stealth02 - thanx for your experience:

My cloud active zones does not work and the system keeps telling me that I need to plug my cameras into power for the active zones to work.............

How do I fix this??????

Right now the answer appears to be "You can't".

The answer is is in the fine print in the manual. This translates to Ultra is not a wireless camera for activity zones to work which is not in the advertising literature.

It would be very easy for ARLO tech folks that monitor this thread to just come out and state that the manual is correct, one must be wired to obtain the activity zones.

411TTWB
Star
Star

Interesting I just a firmware push to only one of four cameras.

Like you wrote this did not solve anything in this thread.

dcfox1
Master
Master

@theconnect81022  Did you subscribe to a plan after your trial expired?  You need one for cloud activity zones to work on battery. Not sure if that is why your getting the error. 

411TTWB
Star
Star

The issue is independent of plan.

The issue is one needs to be wired for the activity zones to work  - contrary to Arlo advertising for Arlo Ultra

I have four cameras all worked on battery fine for 6 months, then warnings came up, to me for no reasons, the activity zone won't work unless wired (words to that effect).

So,  free premium cloud or paid premium cloud - no activity zone unless wired. I have confirmed this regardless of how cloud subscription is paid for.

Thanx for your suggestion

dcfox1
Master
Master

I was replying  to anther poster @theconnect81022 who said it started when his trial expired. Mine are working fine on subscription while some are getting error. 

rdegraci2020
Tutor
Tutor

You could definitely attach the camera(s) to AC power by purchasing a wired connector that is compatible with your camera. They are sold on Amazon for a relatively low price.

Be sure however that you also purchase a good quality power supply that provides output of 5v and 2A.  If you get a low quality power supply then it may not provide enough output or really unstable output and you will get that error "AC power has been disconnected" or simply that it is not charging.

Oldblade
Guide
Guide

All have a Look at my Video I have a Subscription as this is a New set of Ultra Cameras.

I can take another Video showing I have a subscription if that helps as well

https://youtu.be/bfUeElwdPnc

411TTWB
Star
Star

rdegtaci2020, thanx for your response.

First, you are concurring in what I have reported previously, that in order to have the advertised features of the wireless Ultra, it must be wired! Wired to a power supply! That is the stated problem. A wireless camera should not have to be wired to obtain the advertised features. Arlo has yet to respond and confirm this.

Second, there is still no explanation as to why this warning only appeared after six months of use - that is still outstanding. It could be bait and switch or just an innocent software firmware update to provide the warning because it is not clearly covered elsewhere. Arlo has not addressed this

Third (I like to be specific and if possible with Arlo references). The manual and many use the term "AC power supply" when in reality it is an AC adapter or transformer that converts 100-240VOLTS  between ~50-80 hertz (alternating current frequency, nominaly in USA 60 Hz) at 0.3 amps [AC power] as an input to provide 5 volts direct current 2 .0 amps [constant DC power supply]. Arlo "power supply" is made by Netgear. These are dime a dozen on the market. BUT! one needs the Arlo cable if one does not want to make their own. The solar panel only provides 2 watts TRICKLE charge to the battery. As the manual states it will not charge the battery from low to fully charged. The AC adapter puts out 10 Watts DC (1W=1Volt*1AMP or in this case 5V*2amps=10Watts).

Thanx for your insight.

We have learned that the Ultra wireless is not truly wireless if one wants the neat features. It must have continuous power. One must read the manual notes carefully - not hidden, but not obvious. We are also waiting on an Arlo Tech to confirm this.

What we have not learned is why are the warnings started occurring after 6 months.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

A recent update was deployed to the Arlo cloud that should address the accuracy of Activity Zones. This should improve accuracy by more reliably sending notifications only when motion occurs within defined zones. More work is being done to improve the behavior of Arlo Smart notifications and to fix the Activity Zones error that some users are seeing when not using an AC adapter (battery only). Stay tuned for future updates.

JamesC

JimBarrie
Aspirant
Aspirant
Subscription is current, app is up to date, battery’s are 40% to 50%
S_A_M
Aspirant
Aspirant

@JamesC 

Fresh battery.

Firmware 1.070.50.4_223_df6cd69 (this was pushed as noted in this thread on 17/06).

- If that is the fix then it has done little to nothing about activity outside zones so far.

AC power error still persists.

At this point in time I have very low expectations.

Oldblade
Guide
Guide

James same issue I uploaded another Video to youtube this has not fixed the issue

https://youtu.be/K-B_NLu0SLk

JimBarrie
Aspirant
Aspirant
I went to another device and logged in and it was all back to normal. The original phone was an apple then went to android. Now it is all fine on the Apple.
Reddington
Aspirant
Aspirant
Ever since an upgrade to the system on June 10th, 2020, my activity zones aren't working and there is no local storage even though I have a tarabite drive hooked up to the system. It says it's because they are not connected to AC power but they are wireless. What's going on? Please help as my system is basically useless now.
SteveS_66
Guide
Guide

My issues seem to have been resolved over the weekend. All the AC Power warnings are gone on my wireless cameras and the activity zones appear to be working.

Firmware versions:

1.16.2.3_625_ccd29a0 - Hub

1.070.50.4_223_df6cd69 - Cameras

Oldblade
Guide
Guide

I can Now say the issue is mostly Solved Thank You.

No more AC power error 

Activity Zones working for People, Animals and Vehicles But still getting notifications and recordings for Motions outside of my Activity Zones

I have disabled Notifications on Motions and my Life is a lot better now

Keep improving get the Motion part sorted and I'll be a happy camper

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

For those still experiencing issues with Activity Zones, please take a look at the following KB articles for best performance and troubleshooting tips:

How do I troubleshoot problems with Arlo activity zones?

What are activity zones and how do I create them?

JamesC