Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 15 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation
dtdynd
Aspirant
Aspirant
  • Not sure what happened, but after the last Arlo app update, base Station firmware update, and an Android update (I'm running v12), my Ultra no longer streams in 4k locally.  My Pro 4 also stopped streaming in 2k locally.  To be clear, it streams live, but I no longer get the 4k or 2k status displayed at the top left like I always used to.  I checked all settings, restarted the hub, tried reinstalling the app, etc.  Is this a known issue?  Is there an ETA on the fix? 
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

The latest firmware updates for base stations and SmartHubs included a fix that should resolve a majority of the issues with 2K/4K live streams. We are continuing to investigate some corner case scenarios that could result in 2K/4K live stream failure. If you're still experiencing this issue, please let us know.

JamesC

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@dtdynd wrote: Is this a known issue?  Is there an ETA on the fix? 

Yes, it is known, though other reports I've seen on this are with iOS.

Arlo hasn't given an ETA (and there were are few other things that broke last week).

dtdynd
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks, @StephenB !  I did see the reports related to issues with iOS, just wanted to make sure that it's known that similar issues exist with Android.  I appreciate the comment! 

Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor

Just another day of Arlo tinkering with the system that just worked fine. I've had Arlo for years and they never stop breaking it. Reason why I'm moving on to a different brand

Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor

That's of course if you want to actually call that 4K. Which it is not 4K. I have another camera from a different company that has better image quality and zooms in better. And cost a quarter of the price.

Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor

One other thing I would like to mention the other camera that I use that cost a quarter of the price. Takes an SD card I can scroll back 24 hours a day. No extra charge.

dtdynd
Aspirant
Aspirant

Agreed, I don't know how it's considered 4k. It was disappointing when I upgraded to the Ultra and viewed the "4k" footage.  I actually thought I had a defective camera at first.  Then I realized that's how all the Ultra 4ks look like.  If it was truly 4k, and the issue posted in this thread was fixed, it'd be a great product.

AbeG
Apprentice
Apprentice

This has nothing to do with IOS.  I had been running IOS 16 release version for 2 weeks before this started happening on 2 devices (iPad and iPhone).  No clue as to why the temporary fix hasn't been posted as a pinned topic on this forum as it has been days since this started.  Amazing.

Temporary fix:  https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-Ultra/Arlo-Ultra-CAM-streams-live-on-cellular-amp-PC-but-will-not...

dtdynd
Aspirant
Aspirant

@AbeG that answer isn't the answer for me in this situation.  If you read above, you'll see that I can stream locally just fine, just not high quality anymore.  Toggling the enable 4k live streaming button has no affect on whether streaming (at any quality) works or not on my Android app.

AbeG
Apprentice
Apprentice

@dtdynd wrote:

@AbeG that answer isn't the answer for me in this situation.  If you read above, you'll see that I can stream locally just fine, just not high quality anymore.  Toggling the enable 4k live streaming button has no affect on whether streaming (at any quality) works or not on my Android app.

@dtdynd 

Interesting but while the physical  "switch" on/off issue is different on Android it sure sounds like it is the exact same problem but acting differently on the  Android app.  Bottom line is one can't stream in 4K (or 2K) on WI-FI any longer.  On IOS you have to move the switch on Android it just doesn't stream 4K no matter how the switch is set.  Same problem ... no 4K or 2K live streaming but it is just manifesting iteself in a different manner on the Android app.   Betting it's the latest hub/bridge firmware update which makes sense since that is the actual connection to your network and is exactly when it started started on IOS for me.  It's not IOS directly since I have been running IOS 16 DEV betas for months and had the latest released version installed before this problem occurred.

What really bugs me (no pun intended) is that Arlo isn't making this issue (and the simple fix for IOS to at least be able to local stream) known publicly and is causing frustration among many owners.  They say they are "aware of the issue" but one would think it would be a sticky post on the top ofthe forum home pages, on Twitter and Facebook if they are on there.  There must be a whole lot of people affected and calling their horrendous support line who likely isn't even aware of it and putting people through an hour of scripted useless troubleshooting which was what I first went through until one of the mods posted the simple (temporary) fix.  Frankly 4K really isn't a necessity but should be working since that is what I paid for but eventually they will get a "roundtuit" and fix it.

markos11
Tutor
Tutor

What brand camera?  I am also thinking of switching brands.  If arlo allowed "friend account" to local stream 4k it would help, after they fix all they broke.

AbeG
Apprentice
Apprentice

My hub updated itself automatically today (hub Model 5000r5) and now 4K live local streaming is working fine.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

The latest firmware updates for base stations and SmartHubs included a fix that should resolve a majority of the issues with 2K/4K live streams. We are continuing to investigate some corner case scenarios that could result in 2K/4K live stream failure. If you're still experiencing this issue, please let us know.

JamesC

Sam3490
Aspirant
Aspirant

It's working

markos11
Tutor
Tutor

Local streams still buffer and stop when monitoring, did not used to.  I do have a 4k logo back though.

Sam3490
Aspirant
Aspirant

It's working sometimes

Discussion stats
  • 15 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation