Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

local recording issue was fixed?

Discussion stats
  • 22 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 7 In Conversation
Hakob
Guide
Guide

Can someone tell me if the local recording issue was fixed? I still have that problem.

22 REPLIES 22
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hakob,

To utilize local storage, see here: https://kb.arlo.com/1146857/How-do-I-set-up-local-storage-backups-on-a-USB-device-using-my-Arlo-base...

To set up direct access to local storage, for viewing remotely, see here: https://kb.arlo.com/000062337/What-is-Direct-Storage-Access-and-how-do-I-use-it

JamesC

garou5016
Aspirant
Aspirant

I can't record locally, either.  I'm on the current firmware and tried all of the troubleshooting procedures mentioned in the other threads about this issue.

ArloUser79
Aspirant
Aspirant

Garbage just garbage 

Hakob
Guide
Guide

Whoever has an issue with recording can try this methods

To utilize local storage, see here: https://kb.arlo.com/1146857/How-do-I-set-up-local-storage-backups-on-a-USB-device-using-my-Arlo-base...

To set up direct access to local storage, for viewing remotely, see here: https://kb.arlo.com/000062337/What-is-Direct-Storage-Access-and-how-do-I-use-it

Hakob
Guide
Guide

@JamesC ,

starting April 7th I again have a problem with local recording. I can not see the recorded videos. Is there problem again like we had end of last year ?

thanks

Hakob

fifoome
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same here, it was working before, it broke once last year, and now again:

- camera recording on the base station (I can see the files when look directly into the microSD

- I receive IOS notification on my phone

- no events in the feeds of any type

Has Arlo broken once again the local recording and just don't care about communicating / fixing it because it doesn't involve us paying for subscriptions?
it has now been months this feature has been broken and can't be trusted.
And yet Arlo doesn't seem to understand that the security and live of people are linked to this security system?

@JamesCcan we get an ETA on a fix?

Hakob
Guide
Guide

I have the same exact issue and I had end of last year as well.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

The dev team is currently investigating reports of this issue. I will provide an update as soon as we have more information.

JamesC

Hakob
Guide
Guide

@JamesC 

Thanks James. 

Hakob
Guide
Guide

@JamesC 

is there any updates? 

thanks

Hakob

Hakob
Guide
Guide

@JamesC 

Do you have any updates when this issue will be resolved?

Thanks 

Hakob

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hakob,

The development team is still working on fixes for some issues related to local storage. Some adjustments have already been made and there have been reports from some users that factory resetting and re-adding the base station, resyncing cameras and setting up local storage again has resolved the issue.

JamesC

Hakob
Guide
Guide

@JamesC 

I reset the devices but issue wasn’t resolved. I hope the development team will fix the issue quickly.

thanks

Hakob

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

The development team is currently testing a fix for this issue. I will provide an update as soon as I have more information available to share.

JamesC

fifoome
Aspirant
Aspirant

Any ETA / Updates on that fix?

Hakob
Guide
Guide

@JamesC , do you have any update?

thanks

Hakob

gto88
Aspirant
Aspirant

Just learned that Ultra 2 need subscription to record on cloud, if no subscription and using local storage, it will record locally, but cannot be viewed in app, one must pull out the sd card and use pc to view it????

I am out of return window, so Arlo reject my return because of this nonsense use model.

I have 4 other Arlo camera work perfectly with local recording, and this new Ultra 2 will

not allow to view recording in app, unless add subscription,  how do you put this, I thought I own the camera don't I, then how come I need to pat extra to see the full function of it??

An worse scenario is, the hidden recording cannot be deleted from app will overwrite my other

recordings when it is full and you will have to manually format it or move it to pc to clean up.

It induces a lot of work to maintain it.
This makes the Ultra 2 useless to me.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@gto88 wrote:

Just learned that Ultra 2 need subscription to record on cloud, if no subscription and using local storage, it will record locally, but cannot be viewed in app, one must pull out the sd card and use pc to view it????

No.  If you have a VMB5000 smarthub (the only one that accepts a microsd card), then you can see local recordings in the app.

There are limitations:

• Recordings can only be viewed from the primary account (not friend accounts)
  • Recordings can only be viewed from the phone app (not my.arlo.com)
  • No ability to make manual recordings or take snapshots
  • No thumbnails - all videos need to be downloaded to the phone to view
  • remote access requires router setting changes that some find difficult (and which don't work with some internet service providers).

Although many do use this instead of a subscription, I don't think it offers a good experience myself - IMO it is better suited for backup.

gto88
Aspirant
Aspirant

This is incorrect,

VMB5000 smarthub (the only one that accepts a microsd card),

I have vmb4000, and it can have micro sd card as I am using it for all cameras

I have, and it doesn’t work for ultra 2 only.

according to Arlo support, it records in sd card, but it can only be viewed by move the sd card to pc.

This is not acceptable as an end user, and I will not buy any of such camera with limitation

not to say buying any new smart hub with limitation at all.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@gto88 wrote:

I have vmb4000, and it can have micro sd card as I am using it for all cameras

The VMB4000 accepts USB storage, and has no microSD slot.  If yours does have this slot (which is on the bottom of the smarthub, not the back), then you must have the VMB5000.  Look for a VMBxxxx label on the base to confirm the model.

The VMB4000 doesn't support direct access to local storage, the VMB5000 and VMB4540 do.  With the VMB4000, you do need to eject the local storage and connect it to a PC for viewing.

@gto88 wrote:

I have, and it doesn’t work for ultra 2 only.

Legacy cameras (Pro, Pro 2, etc) were sold with 7 days of cloud storage, which Arlo still provides.  Currently sold cameras (including the Ultra 2) are not sold with that feature and require a subscription to get any cloud storage.

Many users find this confusing, and are thinking they are seeing local recordings for their legacy cameras in the app, when they are actually seeing cloud recordings. 

It's easy to tell if they are in the cloud - just eject the storage.  If you can still see the recordings, then they are in the Arlo cloud.

gto88
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi,

you are right, I checked and I realized that I use micro sd adapter for the usb port.

in any case, it is still very inconvenient for old vmb4000 smart hub users with newer camera.

thanks for clarify this.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@gto88 wrote:

in any case, it is still very inconvenient for old vmb4000 smart hub users with newer camera.

totally agree.

Discussion stats
  • 22 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 7 In Conversation