Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

WiFi Extender Required

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Shimme
Aspirant
Aspirant

I live in a house made of stone and bricks and the signal to the SmartHub is poor. US houses are mainly built of wood so connectivity is better. Why on earth can’t Arlo listen to it’s customers constantly complaining of poor signal strength and provide the means to extend the wifi range. Every other company in the world that has a wifi only product provide a wifi extender device.

4 REPLIES 4
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Shimme wrote:

Why on earth can’t Arlo listen to it’s customers constantly complaining of poor signal strength and provide the means to extend the wifi range.

The newest cameras (Pro 3 floodlight, Pro 4, Essential, Go 2) all support a direct connection to your home wifi, so they are compatible with mesh networks and extenders.

With older cameras, you can purchase a second base - straightforward if you have a mesh with ethernet on the satellites (as my Orbi does).  Alternatively you can use powerline networking if needed to get the base to the desired location.

Shimme
Aspirant
Aspirant

I appreciate your response but I have the Ultra 2 cameras which are the latest cameras which is why I posted in the Ultra 2 channel.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Shimme wrote:

I have the Ultra 2 cameras which are the latest cameras which is why I posted in the Ultra 2 channel.

Actually the Go 2 is the latest.  The Ultra 2 was released at the same time as the Pro 4 (two years ago).  No idea why they didn't add the ability to directly connect to home wifi in the Ultra 2 (since they did add it to the Pro 4 and other models).  

But the Ultra 2 does requires a base.  So the only way to get more range with the Ultra 2 is to get another base, and get ethernet to the spot where you put it. 

As I said earlier, if you have a mesh network or extenders with ethernet already in place for your home network, then that is easily done. Otherwise, your options are to

• run an ethernet cable
  • get an extender (or upgrade to mesh)
  • use powerline networking.

Most of my cameras are connected to base stations, and I do have one base connected through an Orbi satellite.

Shimme
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you for your response - apologies Ultra2 was the latest when I installed them.

It’s a pity Arlo won’t invest a little time into a better resolution. I suppose €200 per smarthub suits them better.

Thanks again.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation