Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
hohjoe
Aspirant
Aspirant

It seems I can't compare cameras on the website. Is there a way to look at the camera specs side-by-side?

What does the hub do? Is it necessary? Where can I get info on how the entire system works? Detailed info. Can I connect indoor and outdoor cameras to the hub? Is there a limit to the number of cameras? Does the hub store data?

I see one end of the magnetic charger in a picture, what does the other end connect to? AC? USB charger?

Is is possible to get an overview of the system and how it works in one place?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The attached image is what I see when the mouse cursor hovers over Cameras. The compare is at the bottom of the screenshot.

Yes, the size of the drive determines how many recordings can be stored but a 32-64GB drive holds an awful lot of recordings. Unless you're recording all the time at highest resolution with maximum settings for recording length, larger normally isn't required. YMMV.

The hub must use an Ethernet cable to your router to gain Internet access. That can be connected directly to the router or any other device such as a mesh network satellite or WiFi/powerline extender to be able to connect to the Internet.

There currently are 2 hub modes - the VMB4540 and 5000. I prefer the 4540 since it uses a USB port for local recordings rather than the 5000's microSD slot. I expect that an Ultra 2 system would come with the 5000 but don't know that for sure. Buying a system could well be cheaper than buying components.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Go to arlo.com. If using a mobile browser, set it to use the desktop version of the site. Hover over the Cameras (or click on it) and choose the comparison link.

The older wire-free cameras need a base/hub but some of the newer ones do, too (Ultra and Pro 3). The hub is a specialized router that creates a dedicated, encrypted connection between the cameras and servers. New cameras such as the Pro 4 and Essential can use WiFi or hub which reduces the cost of a system and can be useful in certain situations (like large spaces that's covered by WiFi but would need multiple hubs). However, if you want local recordings you must have a suitable hub that supports a USB drive or microSD card for viewing on the app. While there's a practical limit to the number of cameras per hub or base, most people won't reach that level. 

Not all cameras use a base - the Q and Go cameras specifically.

hohjoe
Aspirant
Aspirant

jguerdat - Thanks for the quick reply.

If I go to arlo.com and hover I get a Learn More button, but no compare option, even on two different browsers and I'm using a desktop.

I think I'm interested in the Pro 3.  If the hub stores data and requires a USB or microSD card, does the size determine the amount of data that is kept locally?

Does the hub connect to an Internet modem via a cable, or wireless?

Is there only one hub model?

Thanks

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The attached image is what I see when the mouse cursor hovers over Cameras. The compare is at the bottom of the screenshot.

Yes, the size of the drive determines how many recordings can be stored but a 32-64GB drive holds an awful lot of recordings. Unless you're recording all the time at highest resolution with maximum settings for recording length, larger normally isn't required. YMMV.

The hub must use an Ethernet cable to your router to gain Internet access. That can be connected directly to the router or any other device such as a mesh network satellite or WiFi/powerline extender to be able to connect to the Internet.

There currently are 2 hub modes - the VMB4540 and 5000. I prefer the 4540 since it uses a USB port for local recordings rather than the 5000's microSD slot. I expect that an Ultra 2 system would come with the 5000 but don't know that for sure. Buying a system could well be cheaper than buying components.

hohjoe
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks again for the info.

SinisterStairs
Apprentice
Apprentice

Yes, my two-camera Ultra 2 kit came with the VMB5000, which uses a microSD card for storage.

EDIT: Removed off-topic observation.

dcfox1
Master
Master

@SinisterStairs  You may want to post on your other thread as this one about Information comparing cameras. 

SinisterStairs
Apprentice
Apprentice

Fair enough.  My initial reply was in response to jguerdat, and I removed the other comment that was off-topic.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation