Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

VMB5000

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
Stevewins
Apprentice
Apprentice

I have a suggestion. The base units don’t have built in battery backup which necessitates a second device and more wires to clutter things up. What if you built a battery receptacle on the back of the base unit that accepts the same battery as the cameras, and can charge it as well. Then we’d have a battery backup for the base if we lose power and a charged battery always available to swap into a camera. Kill two birds with one stone. I’m not sure what the actual voltage requirement of the base is, ie whether it uses straight 120v or if it has a transformer inside, so there could be some conversion loss I guess, but still, it would be very useful.

2 REPLIES 2
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Stevewins wrote:

I’m not sure what the actual voltage requirement of the base is, ie whether it uses straight 120v or if it has a transformer inside

Neither.  The power adapter for the base converts the AC voltage to 12 volts DC. 

The batteries are 3.85 volt.

It's an interesting idea, and it would be useful to have some battery backup built into the base stations.

skippy2
Aspirant
Aspirant

Cool idea.  If implemented, that would be motivation to purchase a new base station.

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation