arlo ultra 2 spotlight cameraVMS5240-200NAS

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
1jm
Aspirant
Aspirant

do I need the sd card to record in 4K ,and do I need Arlo cloud support  if I can store and retrieve from the smart hub.

3 REPLIES 3
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@1jm wrote:

do I need the sd card to record in 4K ,

No, Cloud recordings are also 4K if you have the correct subscription (details depend on your location).

@1jm wrote:

do I need Arlo cloud support  if I can store and retrieve from the smart hub.

Maybe.  Cloud storage isn't the only subscription feature.  Activity Zones and Smart Notifications are two others.  Also, access to phone support requires a subscription.

Also, direct access to local storage has several limitations:

• Local recordings only available from the app (not the web browser)
  • Local recordings only available from the primary account (not friend accounts)
  • No ability to save manual recordings or snapshots
  • No thumbnails, videos need to be downloaded to your phone to view
  • Remote Access requires router setting changes that some find difficult (and which can't be made with some internet service providers).
1jm
Aspirant
Aspirant

Ok so i'm not tech savy at all , so I appreciate all your help  I recieve on here ,just trying to learn how everything works. With that being said I need to know how to retrieve video from my smart hub,and do I need the SD card in at all times to do that. I'm talking about the arlo cloud. thank you for your help.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@1jm wrote:

Ok so i'm not tech savy at all , so I appreciate all your help  I recieve on here ,just trying to learn how everything works. With that being said I need to know how to retrieve video from my smart hub,and do I need the SD card in at all times to do that. I'm talking about the arlo cloud. thank you for your help.

The easiest and best path is to get the subscription - especially if you are not tech savvy.  With a subscription, local storage is just an option - useful for backup, and sometimes for troubleshooting, but not really needed.  So in that scenario, you don't need the SD card at all, but you can add it if you wish.

The base has no storage built in, so if you do want local storage the SD card needs to be installed all the time.

As far as accessing the local storage from the app, the details depend on whether you see "Feed" and "Dashboard" in your app menu, or whether you see "Library" there.   Note Arlo is slowly rolling out a new user interface, but not all users have it yet.  "Feed" is the newer one.

With "Library":

With "Feed":

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation