Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Ultra 2 won't work with battery connected

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Chiefcwo3
Aspirant
Aspirant

One of my Ultra 2 cameras will not operate without the battery once it is connected to the hub and online and powered via electrical outlet. I have a couple of other Ultra 2 cameras that do stay online and connected without the battery when also connected to power. Any ideas?

8 REPLIES 8
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Leaving the battery in place is a good idea in case of loss of AC power so the cameras still operate. However, it sounds like the problem camera either has a faulty connector or other part of the charging system or the charger/cable is faulty. Have you swapped chargers around? If the battery is installed, does the battery icon show a lightning bolt through it and the battery charges normally?

Chiefcwo3
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you for your reply. I have a whole house generator so even if the power fails the gen-set kicks in with 2-5 seconds to restore power. I have changed batteries, the shell the camera is enclosed, cables, charging ports, check voltage at electrical connection and this one camera does not want to operate without a battery. I am sure it is the camera. I am changing out some cameras tomorrow so I will be able to see if any of the other cameras act the same way.  Battery charges normally and holds 100% charge. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

What about the battery icon as I asked above? WHile not proof positive, power being connected will show the lightning bolt.

Chiefcwo3
Aspirant
Aspirant

I just replaced 3 Arlo 2 cameras with fresh batteries and plugged into electrical outlets. So far so good all holding at 100%. I have the removed three cameras on my work bench and will see what the battery charge is on each of them. The one that I have had issues with the battery was dead. I also removed all the camera anti-theft sleeves and wires. Now I can get to most of them from a adjacent window if problems arise. Is there a way to test a camera to see if it is defective?  

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Basically, using AC power as well as battery power in the whole matrix (AC alone, battery alone, AC and battery while checking the battery icon for the lightning bolt - you still haven't replied to that request) will determine if the camera has a fault. If it works on AC power but not with any battery alone, it's faulty.

Chiefcwo3
Aspirant
Aspirant

When the camera went offline the only notice I received on the cameras location/view was a green screen stating camera was offline. The battery status was not visible or accessible. No icon indication battery strength was shown. As I said i installed new cameras/batteries yesterday and today the one South facing camera was offline. I feel that the camera is getting too much sun during the day and is overheating and drawing the battery charge down to 1% or 2%.

It is placed on the south side of a garage and gets the direct sun all day long. Today the temperatures were in the 80's a very sunny day. I have three cameras mounted on this structure with one each on the West,East and South sides. The ones on the West and East side are mounted under a roof overhang and are not exposed to the direct sun like the one on the  South side.  I have had no issues with these cameras holding a 100% charge. I am going to energize a new camera and try to replace the  one on the south side with a camera without a battery.

If that fails I will mount a camera on the West side. 

Thank you for your responses.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Cameras will overheat and display a message that it is overheated and has to cool down before it will work again. Your scenario seems unlikely to trigger this which happens more in the south-west states where temps approach boiling. SInce the cameras are then dormant, battery life isn't impacted.

Since the battery-only operation doesn't work when using any battery but does work when AC power is applied, the camera is faulty. No amount of additional testing will make a difference. Use Settings, Support to select the camera model and scroll down to Contacts to talk to official support.

Chiefcwo3
Aspirant
Aspirant

As side note. This now has happened to two (2) different Ultra 2 cameras. When installed battery is at 100%. Once sun hits camera the battery dies. There is no "cooling down" or message displayed that says what you quoted. Once the battery is down to 1% it will not recharge. This has been a continuing saga with various cameras, batteries, cables etc. One location, several camera battery combo, once sun hits it it the battery dies. I get a message on a black screen, red letters "It's time to change your batteries", that message is on my laptop app. On the cell phone app the message is "Charge Battery - This device's battery is too low. Connect to a compatible charger to charge the battery"

The days are in the 70 plus or minus and the nights are in the 40"s. It's fall in New England.

The electrical outlet used for this camera location has been checked several times by myself and an electrician and it is connected right and putting out the required volts. Two other Ultra 2 cameras are located within 10-15 feet of the troublesome camera (opposite walls) and are connected to the same circuit so power issues has been answered.

Official support has not been helpful.

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation