Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
toothdoc73
Tutor
Tutor

I already have a case number for this situation for arlo support. We're just emailing back and forth at this point, but I thought I would pose the question on the forum. I have 5 Ultra 2 cameras, but for the last two weeks one of them is not detecting motion. It can detect sound and do sound alerts, but not detect motion and not do motion alerts. I have done the usual remove the battery, remove the camera, add the camera back, reboot the hub and so on. Is anyone else having this issue? Are there recent firmware updates I don't know about?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
toothdoc73
Tutor
Tutor

Update for everyone. Arlo reached out and created an RMA so I could receive an Arlo Ultra 2 camera replacement.  When you receive a replacement you get to choose from 3 different shipping options. I chose the most expensive shipping option which was about $30 meaning the replacement camera was sent to me via FedEx next business day. I had to then return the broken camera back to Arlo using the same box within 10 days or I would be charged for a new full camera. I can happily tell everyone that the replacement camera which was sent to me does, in fact, have motion detection working. It's a good feeling to know that you were right all along and the camera you had was not working properly. So no need to go back to Costco for a replacement, however, that would have worked if my local Costco warehouse still had the system in stock. 

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
dcfox1
Master
Master

@toothdoc73 wrote:

I have 5 Ultra 2 cameras, but for the last two weeks one of them is not detecting motion. It can detect sound and do sound alerts, but not detect motion and not do motion alerts. I have done the usual remove the battery, remove the camera, add the camera back, reboot the hub and so on. 

Just a long shot but double check in that camera's rules that Detect motion is still checked along with audio since you get them. 

toothdoc73
Tutor
Tutor

The detect motion was checked, but the detect sound was not (for the time being), so I turned sound back on. When sound is detected it does send a video clip to the cloud. It jus won't perform a motion detect test either even the camera is close to the hub. No amber light shows up at all during the detection test. When I remove the battery should I leave the battery out for a certain period of time before placing it back in the camera?

dcfox1
Master
Master

I haven't had to reboot the cam that much but I do it for about 30 seconds and it fixed the problem usually.  Not sure if there is a set time. Also when doing a motion test are you walking across the field of view and not directly toward it as it detects better that way. 

toothdoc73
Tutor
Tutor

Well it's been over a week since my original post and still no results. The support case team has asked me to submit screenshots, pictures, asked to confirm my shipping address, confirm where and when I bought the system, etc. I haven't heard back from the support team in a while. I think they know they have to send out a replacement camera so now they haven't responded to my last two responses to them. They are dragging their feet or just plain stone walling me now. I bought this four camera and hub system inside a Costco warehouse. I'm not sure if Costco would take back one camera and give a prorated refund. I guess I'll have to go the Costco warehouse and ask because the Costco online chat is only for Costco online purchases. 

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hi toothdoc73,

Let me reach out to you via private message to gather more inforamtion from you. 

sdeand
Tutor
Tutor

Yes.  I have same issue with various cameras not recording motion.  They are sporadic at best, not a real good security solution.  I have Arlo Cameras, Ring Cameras, and Cheap Foscam cameras in my house.

the cheapy is the most reliable so far, followed by ring.

Arlo is the worst.

-Dean

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hi sdeand,

If your Ultra 2 is not recording properly, you may want to try optimizing the motion detection on your camera. Read here to learn how: How do I optimize motion detection for my Arlo camera?

If you still have problems, I would suggest contacting the Support Team to further investigate this issue. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link.

sdeand
Tutor
Tutor

Jessica,

Thanks. I opened a ticket. but have not had contact from support.  

I cannot see a way for me to look at my open tickets or any responses.

I have 8 cameras and 2 bases.

The motion detection is spotty on most of them. and a few wont record motion even after reboot the base and the camera.  I have even placed two cameras side by side and get one camera that will record and the other wont even with the act same settings.

I am not sure if it is firmware or a bad product. I have "wired" cameras and a DVR that never miss any motion ever.

I thought the wireless would add some flexibility to our security, but the recording is not reliable.

I even upgraded our wifi to Netgear ORBI.  thinking it was network issue.  

thanks,

Dean

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Let me reach out to you via private message to gather more information from you in regards to your ticket

toothdoc73
Tutor
Tutor

Update for everyone. Arlo reached out and created an RMA so I could receive an Arlo Ultra 2 camera replacement.  When you receive a replacement you get to choose from 3 different shipping options. I chose the most expensive shipping option which was about $30 meaning the replacement camera was sent to me via FedEx next business day. I had to then return the broken camera back to Arlo using the same box within 10 days or I would be charged for a new full camera. I can happily tell everyone that the replacement camera which was sent to me does, in fact, have motion detection working. It's a good feeling to know that you were right all along and the camera you had was not working properly. So no need to go back to Costco for a replacement, however, that would have worked if my local Costco warehouse still had the system in stock. 

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation