Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Ultra 2 motion detection failing to detect small animals

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
brewnote
Aspirant
Aspirant

We have 2 Ultra 2 cameras specifically to secure a chicken coop from predators.  The goal was to detect from as large as bears down to foxes and skunks.  Currently, neither camera detects the chickens themselves, which is concerning.  If they don't trigger, can we be sure other small animals will?

Currently the sensitivity is set to 100, the cameras are above 7 feet and the chickens are within 20 feet and still do not trigger.  Any suggestions?

I have read the Pro series is better at motion detection.  Is this true?

6 REPLIES 6
Dannybear
Master
Master

Are you using the camera settings utility to adjust the motion sensitivity setting?

The arlo cameras, except some indoor versions, use a infrared PIR sensor to detect changes in the infrared heat presence in front of the camera face to trigger recording events as setup in the camera mode rules which is where you need to set up the wanted sensitivity value.

The PIR has a fractal lens cover similar to the common motion sensors that is designed to pickup movements across the field of view. This is why camera positioning is important unless you can get the chickens to walk about sideways.

25ft direct from the camera face is about the typical range for the camera PIR which if mounted high will reduce the horizontal distance.

My pro2 looking down my driveway is mounted 16ft high and has a typical horizontal range is 20ft for a person. Dogs are regularly missed unless they do the circle before they do their business under the camera. If I set the motion trigger sensitivity in the rules above 80% then I start detecting the toads hopping around as well as every time the wind blows.

If your using smart notifications then this might also be part of your problem.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It may also be Arlo Smart causing this since Smart will delete videos it considers not up to the Smart settings. Try disabling the camera in Settings, Smart Notifications, Manage Cameras.

brewnote
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am asking about Ultra2.  They are set at 100.

Dannybear
Master
Master

You did ask if the pro cameras were better with motion detection, I described my experience using pro2, I don’t have a Ultra 2 to compare it to but as the camera operational design is similar it would suggest not.

r-t66
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the same problem , my pro 3 cameras are far better at detecting small animals , I bought an ultra to replace a pro3 and placed it in the exact same place and have found the ultra does not detect as well as the pro 

JKS07
Tutor
Tutor

I’ve noticed the same thing with my 4 newly purchased Ultra 2 cameras compared to my single Pro3 camera.  When I first put up the Pro3 camera, I was amazed at how good the motion detection was.  Far better, particularly in range, than my Pro2 (both cameras plugged in full time to AC power).  When I took the Pro3 down and put an Ultra2 in its place, it was obvious that it wasn’t nearly as good at detecting motion as the Pro3.  I took the new Ultra2 down and put the Pro3 back in that spot.  While the Pro3 exceeds my expectations, it is very disappointing that these pricey Ultra2s are inferior doing a critical  task….motion detection.  I will keep the Ultra2s despite this.  The location of the Pro3 is my most important area to keep an eye on..  I just hope Arlo offers something just as good to replace the Pro3 with someday.  Unfortunately, the Ultra2s (despite the nice video) are not up to the job compared to the Pro3.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation