Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Ultra 2 does not get recording anymore and prompts me to buy subscription?

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation
tfirma99
Tutor
Tutor

I had a 5 camera Arlo Pro 2 setup, and get my 7 days of free recording on them.

Before buying the Arlo Ultra 2 package, I specifically reached out to Arlo and asked, since I was adding another package, with basestation, would i get the same ongoing, free 7 days with the Ultra 2 cameras....and was told yes.

I've. had the cameras for a few months now, and got a message that my trial was up.  None of the Ultra 2 cameras record anymore....it only prompts me to buy a subscription.  

Is this really the case?    I can get recordings on my Arlo Pro 2 cameras.....  but can't get anything "free" with my Ultra 2 (even though I was told differently from Arlo) even though they have their own basestation???

2 REPLIES 2
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Any camera newer than the Pro 2 requires a subscription for cloud recordings after the trial expires. Can't say why you were told yes unless they thought you were referring to the older cameras retaining the free 7 day plan.  Since you have a hub for the Ultras, you can use a microSD card in the hub so you can enable and configure local recordings without a subscription. You'll have to use the app to view the recordings as well as set up port forwarding or a VPN on your router to be able to see the recordings when not on your home WiFi. It's not as seamless but can be the solution to your issue.

tfirma99
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks for the explanation.    I really did clarify with Arlo because I really dislike subscriptions, and definitely sent them the Ultra model package I was looking to get.    I want to believe it was an honest mistake on their part, yet I have so many issues with Arlo, I really wonder if it wasn't just a purposeful misdirect.

Anyway - thank you again for your response!

Tom

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation