Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Ultra 2 cameras are not recording activities. Ring camera recorded animals but not Ultra 2.

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Gabbytony
Aspirant
Aspirant

I recently bought 4 Ultra 2 Cameras.  I am planning on replacing all my RING cameras with Arlo Ultra 2.
However, I am having problems with one of my cameras.  It is mounted on a tree overlooking my back deck.  It is about 15 feet off the ground.  The single strength is STRONG.  I have two Ring cameras also on my deck surveilling the same area as the Ultra 2.

Last night my Ring cameras recorded a raccoon, a fox, and a cat on my back deck.  The Ultra 2 didn't record anything. I have it set to human and animals and other things......Still, nothing is detected or recorded.  Any thoughts? 

Thinking of returning these Arlo cameras and staying with Ring.   
Thank you

1 REPLY 1
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

15 feet off the ground is the issue. Motion detection for people (a larger IR target than a raccoon or cat) maxs out at ~25 feet so a smaller target would be even less. You can turn up the motion sensitivity in your modes and rules to see if that helps but I'd think you'd also need to reposition the camera (Arlo suggests ~7 feet above ground).

Also, the Ultra cameras won't detect in the upper third of the view - note the warning and bar in the camera settings under Camera Positioning section. Since the cameras use a PIR sensor, that area apparently is out of range, perhaps due to the extremely wide angle of the lens.

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation