Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Ultra 2 Cameras have a mind of their own!!!

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Rickp703
Tutor
Tutor

Hi everyone - Thanks in advance for helping.  I am at my wits end!  I have been an Arlo user for over 5 years with models all the way to the beginning (so I understand the GUI), but lately, something weird is happening:

First, this post is regarding the fact that my custom mode is NOT working properly.  I have factory reset the hub, I have reset the cameras, I have rebuilt the custom mode.... Nothing makes my problem go away.

My issue is coverage within my screened in Lanai, using 4 total cameras - (2) Pro 3 units and (2) Ultra 2 Cameras. 

The (2) Pro 3 Units are mounted correctly near the entrance doors (approx 50ft apart on opposite sides of the patio) - These will be called A & B

The (2) Ultra 2 Units are mounted inward to record any situations that occur within the Lanai (once activated by motion) from the Door (Pro 3 unit - depending on which door is activated). - These will be called C & D

We will call them Cameras A, B for the (2) Pro 3 cameras and Cameras C, D for the (2) Ultra 2 Cameras

Here is what I am trying to do:

I have a Lanai which has two entrance doors, I have (2) Arlo Pro 3 - one on each door approx 10 ft away to trigger the following via a custom mode:

When Door Cameras (A) or (B)  sense motion on their respective door (people and animal only), I have the instruction to trigger recording on Camera (A) AND Camera (C), and if the Other door is activated trigger recording on Camera (B) and (D).

The instructions are clear... but what is happening is Ultra 2 units - camera C and D are recording with any internal movement within the Lanai.  I do NOT want that.  They should only record when triggered by motion through the doorways (otherwise they will go off all day long - since they are inward).  I've built the mode so that things should be recorded only when someone enters from the outside, as that would be the security issue I'm trying to monitor (not be just walking around all day within, but not by the doors).

Why are the internal cameras recording when not instructed to?  In the last hour the inward-facing cameras (C & D have recorded over 30 events each (but it's really just us walking around)... This would kill a battery within 48 hours.

What is going on, what is causing the internal cameras C & D to record without a triggering event?  Any help would be appreciated.  Does Motion sensitivity have anything to do with cameras C & D?  Should motion sensitivity be brought down to -0-?  Does the fact that the two inward-facing cameras (C & D) overlap with their coverage, and look inward (kind of) at each other?  

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Rickp703 wrote:

When Door Cameras (A) or (B)  sense motion on their respective door (people and animal only), I have the instruction to trigger recording on Camera (A) AND Camera (C), and if the Other door is activated trigger recording on Camera (B) and (D).

The instructions are clear... but what is happening is Ultra 2 units - camera C and D are recording with any internal movement within the Lanai.  I do NOT want that.  They should only record when triggered by motion through the doorways (otherwise they will go off all day long - since they are inward).  I've built the mode so that things should be recorded only when someone enters from the outside, as that would be the security issue I'm trying to monitor (not be just walking around all day within, but not by the doors).

Just to clarify - the custom mode has no rule for cameras C and D?  Just the rules for A and B that include a recording step for C and D respectively?

Also, it might be worth checking that the base didn't accidently end up in "armed" mode.

Rickp703
Tutor
Tutor

There is no rule for Cameras C and D within the custom mode, yes that is correct. Additionally, the mode is not in "Armed" mode...I reset everything this morning & rebuilt the entire structure...  BTW in the 8 hours since this post the Cameras C and D have recorded 50+ events (none of which were triggered correctly) and used 25% of their battery.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Rickp703 wrote:

There is no rule for Cameras C and D within the custom mode, yes that is correct. Additionally, the mode is not in "Armed" mode...I reset everything this morning & rebuilt the entire structure...  BTW in the 8 hours since this post the Cameras C and D have recorded 50+ events (none of which were triggered correctly) and used 25% of their battery.

One thing you could try is bagging one of the cameras (or move it to a place where there is no trigger), and see if the recordings persist.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation