Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

SmartHub questions: Able to save video locally? Can I connect doorbell to SmartHub?

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 6 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
TheValerieVibe
Aspirant
Aspirant

I've seen variations of this question but I want a really black and white answer.

1. If I buy one of the cameras with a Smart Hub (such as the Arlo Ultra 2) will I be able to save video footage locally without a subscription (not just a trial period)

2. If so, exactly what would I need to do? (I've seen some mention of  connecting a USB, for example which I assume would involve an additional cost)

3. Would the footage be automatically stored, or would I need to save it? (Likewise, would footage need to be erased or is this done automatically?) If erasures occur automatically, is there a way to permanently save footage (if an incident occurs)?

4. If I have a camera with a smart hub, could I, in turn, connect a doorbell to the smart hub and enjoy the same benefits. Thanks!!!!

7 REPLIES 7
SinisterStairs
Apprentice
Apprentice

1. I can't speak to the Ultra 2, but I have an Ultra 3 and yes, it saves video footage locally w/o subscription.

2. For the Ultra 3 hub (5000), I simply inserted a microSD card and formatted it.  (Other hubs might use different media.)

3. Footage is automatically stored -- when triggered (e.g. motion).  You can't do CCR w/o a subscription or even manually record.  Old videos are automatically purged as you run out of diskspace.  There's no automatic saving; you should download older videos or insert a new card before the old one fills up.  Having said that, I'm not even close to filling up months later, as clips tend to be <30 seconds.

4. Don't know.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

4) Yes. Any camera connected to the hub will automatically record locally.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@TheValerieVibe wrote:

4. If I have a camera with a smart hub, could I, in turn, connect a doorbell to the smart hub and enjoy the same benefits. Thanks!!!!

It depends on which doorbell.  The AVD1001 can be paired with a smarthub.  The AVD2001 cannot be.  Arlo says they are planning to add that feature to the AVD2001, but they haven't said when.

Note there are several disadvantages to using local storage w/o a subscription.

1. You cannot access the videos via the web browser (my.arlo.com) - only the app
  2. Videos cannot be accessed from a "friend" account
  3. There are no thumbnails, so the videos need to downloaded in order to see anything.
  4. You cannot make manual recordings
  5. Setting up remote access to the recordings can be challenging.

Many people here do use it that way, but you should be aware of the limitations up front.

TheValerieVibe
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have seen a pro 3 but not an ultra 3. Is that older?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@TheValerieVibe wrote:

I have seen a pro 3 but not an ultra 3. Is that older?

There is no Ultra 3, so I am not sure what @SinisterStairs meant by that,

Ultra 1 and Ultra 2 are 4K cameras, Pro 3 and Pro 4 are 2K.

SinisterStairs
Apprentice
Apprentice

I was confusing Pros and Ultras...  I have an Ultra 2.  I'll edit my original response.  [EDIT: Actually, I can't edit it anymore.  Sorry for the confusion.]

SinisterStairs
Apprentice
Apprentice

@StephenB wrote:

Note there are several disadvantages to using local storage w/o a subscription.

1. You cannot access the videos via the web browser (my.arlo.com) - only the app
  2. Videos cannot be accessed from a "friend" account
  3. There are no thumbnails, so the videos need to downloaded in order to see anything.
  4. You cannot make manual recordings
  5. Setting up remote access to the recordings can be challenging.

Many people here do use it that way, but you should be aware of the limitations up front.

To expand a little more on StephenB's warnings:

1. I couldn't remember how web browsing works, so I double-checked:  You cannot access the locally recorded videos via browser, but you can watch a live feed.
  2. Yes, that would have been a dealbreaker for me, had I known before my return period ended:  Your partner (for example) can't use their own account to view recorded videos, and if you share an account only one person can be connected at a time.
  3. True, but the preliminarily missing thumbnails are the least of my complaints.  For me, downloading the videos [to the app] happen in seconds, so personally it's just a minor inconvenience.
  4. My workaround is to create a recording mode with the highest sensitivity settings.  My hope is I can simulate manual recording by turning this mode on/off.  (I created the mode but haven't actually tested it yet.)
  5. To clarify, you can view recordings remotely via the app (#1 refers to viewing via web browser), but:
    1. If you have a network firewall, you'll need to enable port forwarding.
    2. Or set up a VPN (which is the route I took).
Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 6 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation