Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Receiving notifications from my Android but no video? Do I need Smart subscription?

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
robinbowe8
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi, I hope someone can give me a clear concise answer to a weird problem I am having.

My system no longer sends short video notifications to my android phone.

It sends a notification but no video.

I can log in and watch the cameras live but that is hardly useful.

The system all worked fine until the middle of the other night.

I am wondering if I have to pay for a subscription to get this to work.

Seems ridiculous because the other systems on the market like Eufy don't require a subscription.

I have searched the forums and cannot find a clear answer to this question, only vague references to push notifications.

Have I purchased the wrong brand?

ps I have submitted the question to Arlo but no answer yet.

5 REPLIES 5
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@robinbowe8 wrote:

It sends a notification but no video.

I am wondering if I have to pay for a subscription to get this to work.

You either need a paid subscription or you need to set up Direct Access to Local Storage.  Direct Access to Local Storage is only available if you have a 4540 or 5000 SmartHub (and it isn't as functional as the cloud storage).

More information is here:

https://kb.arlo.com/88/What-are-the-available-Arlo-subscription-plans-and-how-much-cloud-recording-i...

https://kb.arlo.com/000062337/What-is-Direct-Storage-Access-and-how-do-I-use-it

robinbowe8
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks Stephen

I have read the articles and will track down a mini memory card and give it a go.

Assuming this works (and I will report back), I am still so disappointed that I cannot have videos pushed to me directly without having a subscription.

I don't want cloud storage and on site memory is not much use either.

Its like having to pay a monthly subscription for a router even though it never needs to send information to and from the manufacturer.

$15/month seems excessive when Eufy don't charge anything.

Regards

Scott711
Tutor
Tutor

I don't know what camera's you have, but if you have an Ultra 2 you have to have a subscription to be able to see any video recordings.  You will only get notifications without a subscription.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Scott711 wrote:

I don't know what camera's you have, but if you have an Ultra 2 you have to have a subscription to be able to see any video recordings.  You will only get notifications without a subscription.

With the Ultra, Cloud recordings require a paid subscription.  Direct Access to Local Recordings does not.

robinbowe8
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks to all that have helped solve this problem.

Unfortunately local storage is not useful as I need notifications straight away.

I have purchased a subscription for the system.

I have purchased a Eufy system for my own house because it doesn't require a subscription.

Regards to you all.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation