Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Planning of getting 2 Pro 2 and 1 Ultra. Arlo Pro 2 base station or wait for alro ultra?

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
Holden1
Follower
Follower

I’m planning on getting two Arlo Pro 2’s and one Arlo Ultra cam. I don’t need 4K in my backyard but due to some pretty crazy events that always seem to happen outside the front of my house I want something that can get good detail. I currently have a nest outdoor IQ out front and have been very underwhelmed by the quality for the price I paid.

I was kinda hoping to get the two pro 2’s early so i can get them setup and used to them and just add on the ultra but I’m wondering if I should just hold off for the updated base station as well.

3 REPLIES 3
pwaggs
Apprentice
Apprentice

The issue that you are going to have if you move in the direction that you suggested (set up Arlo Pro 2's and then add on an Arlo Ultra 2) is that the Arlo Ultra 2 is not going to be compatible with the base station of the Arlo Pro 2's). The reverse is not true. If you started out with the Ultra 2 you could add the Pro 2's to the SmartHub.

pwaggs
Apprentice
Apprentice

I don't know how to edit my comment above but I looked up the specs and I am WRONG. Turns out that the base station for the Pro 2's is compatible with the Ultra 2.

Sorry! Link below.

What is the difference between each Arlo SmartHub and base station?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I would still buy a VMB4540 plus the Pro 2 cameras rather than using the VMB4000 or 4500 that would come with a Pro 2 system unless there's a monetary reason to not do so. The 4540 allows you to use local recordings and be able to use the app to view them directly. The older models would require you to safely eject the drive for viewing on a computer.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation