Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Local storage error msg

Discussion stats
  • 20 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Stevewins
Apprentice
Apprentice

A2CAFF6F-CEC6-4CA0-9632-69C0CF5F8151.pngLately I’ve started getting this error message whenever I access local storage from the iOS and iPadOS apps. It still works normally otherwise and everything is there and viewable. How do I stop this message from constantly re-appearing? 

20 REPLIES 20
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Have you tried force closing the app and reopening it?

Stevewins
Apprentice
Apprentice

I close it every time I’m done using it. I don’t normally leave apps running in the background. It gives this error every time I open it on either iPhone or iPad. This just started recently, the at last week or two. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Arlo needs the app to be backgrounded for notifications to work. Closing the app, as opposed to force closing, should allow the app to be backgrounded but maybe it's an iOS thing. On Android I simply use the Home or back buttons which works fine.

Stevewins
Apprentice
Apprentice

On every iPhone I’ve owned, the notifications work whether or not the app is open, backgrounded or closed. On my one and only Samsung/Android phone, the same is true, so I’m not sure what you’re talking about. This has nothing to do with the new error message when accessing the local hub.

What’s the difference between “closing” and “force closing” an app? I don’t think there is one.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Stevewins wrote:

What’s the difference between “closing” and “force closing” an app? I don’t think there is one.

Force close (sometimes called force quit) is described here:

Usually something you do when an app locks up.  

@Stevewins wrote:

This has nothing to do with the new error message when accessing the local hub.

I agree that the inability to access local storage is a very different problem from missed notifications.

Stevewins
Apprentice
Apprentice

That’s the same thing as “closing” the app. It’s the only way I know how to close an app on the iPhone and iPad. Do you know of another way?

Whether open, closed or in the background doesn’t affect notifications on any of my phones or tablets. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Stevewins wrote:

That’s the same thing as “closing” the app. It’s the only way I know how to close an app on the iPhone and iPad. Do you know of another way?

It is the only way to close an app with iOS.  But @jguerdat uses Android, and it has a force stop option for each app in the phone settings.  FWIW, it also has a clear cache option, which iOS lacks.

@Stevewins wrote:

Whether open, closed or in the background doesn’t affect notifications on any of my phones or tablets. 

Perhaps I'm confused, but my understanding is that your issue is with accessing local storage, not notifications.  Is that the case?

Stevewins
Apprentice
Apprentice

No. The issue I’m having is that when I access local storage, I get that error message every time. However, the recordings still populate and I’m still able to access them normally once I close the error message. I’m just trying to get rid of that error message from popping up every time.

Notifications work normally for me regardless of whether the app is open, in the background, or closed. @jguerdat mentioned that the app had to be  backgrounded to get notifications, which is incorrect, at least for iOS and iPadOS and I think for android also.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Stevewins wrote:

The issue I’m having is that when I access local storage, I get that error message every time. However, the recordings still populate and I’m still able to access them normally once I close the error message. I’m just trying to get rid of that error message from popping up every time.

Thanks for clarifying. I'm tagging the mods ( @JamesC and @ShayneS ) in case they want to follow up.

The notifications sidebar is just distraction, so maybe drop that part of the conversation.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

@Stevewins wrote:

Notifications work normally for me regardless of whether the app is open, in the background, or closed. @jguerdat mentioned that the app had to be  backgrounded to get notifications, which is incorrect, at least for iOS and iPadOS and I think for android also.

I guess that depends on the definition of "closed". As long as the app is still logged in, it's backgrounded. If closed were to mean logged out, nothing is going to work in Arloland.

Stevewins
Apprentice
Apprentice

@jguerdat wrote:

I guess that depends on the definition of "closed". As long as the app is still logged in, it's backgrounded. If closed were to mean logged out, nothing is going to work in Arloland.

I agree, obviously if you log out vs simply closing/force closing the app then notifications won’t be received on that particular device. However, if the app is either being used in the foreground, running in the background along with another app being used in the foreground or the phone being asleep, or if it’s been closed/force closed, then the notifications will work. Regardless, none of these have anything to do with my original question. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

@Stevewins wrote:

Lately I’ve started getting this error message whenever I access local storage from the iOS and iPadOS apps. It still works normally otherwise and everything is there and viewable. How do I stop this message from constantly re-appearing? 

If you mean this, I use the force close method on Android. Since iOS apparently doesn't allow this, log out and back in to see if that "fixes" the problem.

Stevewins
Apprentice
Apprentice

@jguerdat please leave this thread, you’re not helping, you’re just muddying the waters. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

Just to clarify the symptoms:

You are getting the error message when you first attempt to access local storage. Does hitting "cancel" allows you to proceed (and access the storage anyway)?

If so, when does the error re-appear?  The next time you open the app?  Or perhaps when you leave the local storage screen, and then open it up again?

Stevewins
Apprentice
Apprentice

@StephenB   There’s no correlation between the error message and the point in time at which I click on the library tab. Before I posted this thread, it was happening every single time I clicked on the library, whether it was right after launching the app, or simply switching from the devices, mode or settings tabs. Neither rebooting the phone nor reinstalling the app had any effect. Now, the last couple of days after posting this, it only occurs randomly when opening the library tab vs constantly.

All of my recorded clips are there and visible in the library tab just like normal, regardless of whether the error message appears or not, and once I close the error message, I can view the clips.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Stevewins wrote:

There’s no correlation between the error message and the point in time at which I click on the library tab. 

All of my recorded clips are there and visible in the library tab just like normal, regardless of whether the error message appears or not, and once I close the error message, I can view the clips.

This isn't something I've seen here before - generally when that message shows up you can't access the library recordings at all.

I'm tagging the mods ( @JamesC and @ShayneS ), so hopefully they will follow up.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

I will pass this topic along to the development team for further investigation.

Just to clarify, you are still able to view your recordings, the error message can just be cancelled, allowing access as normal?

JamesC

Stevewins
Apprentice
Apprentice

@JamesC 

That’s correct. I can close the error message and view my recordings normally. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Stevewins wrote:

@JamesC 

That’s correct. I can close the error message and view my recordings normally. 

Just to gather some more info...

1. Is this happening when the iphone/ipad are connected only to your home wifi (cellular data disabled)?
  2. Do you have port forwarding set up?  If so, is it perhaps set up to use port triggering?
  3. Is there a VPN enabled on the iphone/ipad?
Stevewins
Apprentice
Apprentice

No port forwarding, no VPN, no correlation to whether I’m on wifi or cellular.

Discussion stats
  • 20 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation