Issues with cameras randomly disconnecting

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
aussielemon
Aspirant
Aspirant

I had the system installed today worked great for a good 3 hours no issues then the dropout issues started happening as someone who has a IT background I went though the typical troubleshooting issues didn’t fix it 

I currently run a ubiquiti dream machine pro and u6-pro Wi-Fi dome 

I spoke to Arlo support over the phone who was utterly unhelpful and was blaming my wifi I had no doubt this was not the issue  

*this is a critical part* I am in a wheelchair

tech support asked me to reset the base station prior to him saying that I explained I was in a wheelchair I can’t walk or stand then told me I would have to resync the cameras this being at around 1700 hrs I couldn’t get anyone to help me 

I doubt any Wi-Fi interfence was the cause of the cameras dropping out given the fact it was up for 3 hours with no issues 

i am highly disappointed in arlos over the phone support 

8 REPLIES 8
DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

Some things you may want to consider trying.

Set your router wifi channel to a fixed value in a quiet part of the spectrum. The base wifi will then match the router channel to minimise interference when it is rebooted.

Ensure the base and router are at least 6ft (10ft ideal) apart to prevent wifi Rx overload.

Set the router to fix the base and camera ip  address to remove ip changes when DHCP is used.

aussielemon
Aspirant
Aspirant

@DannyBearAgain already done all that the base station is power cycling for no reason which leaves me thinking its a base station issue 

DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

Probably a firmware update bug, good luck with a factory reset.

https://kb.arlo.com/1057976/How-can-I-reset-my-Arlo-SmartHub-or-Base-Station 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@aussielemon wrote:

the base station is power cycling for no reason which leaves me thinking its a base station issue 

It could be power-related - either a loose connection (either to mains or the base), or a failing adapter.  One possibility is to do a risk-buy of a compatible adapter.

Of course it could be a failing base also.  Is it still under warranty?

While @DannyBearAgain is correct in thinking it could be firmware, but I haven't seen any other reports here of smarthubs power-cycling.

aussielemon
Aspirant
Aspirant

@StephenB they are sending out a new base station whenever that will be as its out of stock 
my thought was also the ac adaptor i dont want to risk using a third party one ive also replaced the ethernet cable just incase you never know 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

A "universal" power supply is no big deal as long as you set it for the proper voltage and polarity.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@jguerdat wrote:

A "universal" power supply is no big deal as long as you set it for the proper voltage and polarity.

Of course you do need the right size connector.

There are also several third party adapters that say they are compatible with the VMB5000.  Though I haven't needed to use them.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

@StephenB wrote:

@jguerdat wrote:

Of course you do need the right size connector.

Yeah, yeah, yeah...  🙂

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation