Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

I am wanting to add a 5th camera to my Ultra II package ...

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation
bigjeepman
Star
Star

I am needing to add a 5th camera to the Ultra II package that I bought from Costco about 3 years ago. After searching several places to purchase another Ultra II camera, I have found they want $299 for one. Obviously, I do not want to pay that kind of money for just one additional camera so my question is "what other Arlo camera can I add" to my Ultra II setup with hub? I apologize as all the different models are confusing to me and exactly what will work well with my system and which ones won't.

I would prefer the same type of battery as I already have a well working battery charger. Can anyone help? Also ... where is the best place to buy just one camera? I thank you in advance for any help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@bigjeepman wrote:

I am needing to add a 5th camera to the Ultra II package that I bought from Costco about 3 years ago. After searching several places to purchase another Ultra II camera, I have found they want $299 for one. Obviously, I do not want to pay that kind of money for just one additional camera so my question is "what other Arlo camera can I add" to my Ultra II setup with hub? I apologize as all the different models are confusing to me and exactly what will work well with my system and which ones won't.

The Pro 4 meets your requirements, and I think is selling for about $120 at the moment..  It's a 2K camera (not 4K) that uses the same battery and charger as the Ultra cameras.  It's compatible with your smarthub, and also could be connected directly to your home wifi.

The main downside is that several posters here (not all) report crackling sounds from the mic.  If you use the two-way talk feature, that could be a significant issue for you.

@bigjeepman wrote:

Also ... where is the best place to buy just one camera? I thank you in advance for any help.

Amazon, Best Buy, and Costco are all reasonable.

I don't shop at Costco myself, but based on posts here they have a really good return policy.  So if you still have a membership there, I suggest looking there first.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@bigjeepman wrote:

The Pro 4 meets your requirements, and I think is selling for about $120 at the moment..  It's a 2K camera (not 4K) that uses the same battery and charger as the Ultra cameras.  It's compatible with your smarthub, and also could be connected directly to your home wifi.

The main downside is that several posters here (not all) report crackling sounds from the mic.  If you use the two-way talk feature, that could be a significant issue for you.

@bigjeepman wrote:

Also ... where is the best place to buy just one camera? I thank you in advance for any help.

Amazon, Best Buy, and Costco are all reasonable.

I don't shop at Costco myself, but based on posts here they have a really good return policy.  So if you still have a membership there, I suggest looking there first.

bigjeepman
Star
Star

Thank you Stephen …

all of your reply sounds very good. I have never used/needed the mic feature so that won’t be an issue. 

What  you did for me in a few minutes would have taken me through my next 3 birthdays. I appreciate it … and thank you. 

bigjeepman
Star
Star

Well ... I cannot seem to find where I can buy one Arlo Pro 4 camera in white. Amazon has one in black and one "renewed" white Pro 4 for $20 less so for now, those are my only two found options.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@bigjeepman wrote:

Well ... I cannot seem to find where I can buy one Arlo Pro 4 camera in white. Amazon has one in black and one "renewed" white Pro 4 for $20 less so for now, those are my only two found options.

I thought I was looking at a new Arlo model, but I was seeing one that was renewed.

Though this is a 3-camera bundle, you'll see an option to get one camera for $119.99

Arlo is selling a black one there for $139.99:

The best deal I am seeing is at bestbuy:

Clearance price of $90.99. Though the "clearance" language plus the limited inventory elsewhere suggests that Arlo might be dropping the Pro 4.

You could alternatively go with an Essential Gen 2 camera (the regular or the XL with the bigger battery):

These are also 2K.  Unlike the Ultras, the battery is completely sealed and not user replaceable.  One consequence is that you can't restart the camera by removing/reinserting the battery.  If that is ever needed, you'd have to do a full factory reset.

Charging would use USB-C, so it would not use the magnetic connectors you have with the Ultra.

They would connect directly to your home wifi, and not your smarthub.  Arlo is saying that they will add the smarthub feature, but they haven't said when.

Note installing this model would migrate your user interface from "Library" to "Feed".  That would happen eventually anyway, but adding this model would force that migration right away.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation