Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Having problems accessing web portal to live stream. Shows "Unexpected Error Occurred".

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
FlyingDogs
Aspirant
Aspirant

Everything is working fine through iPad app and Android phone app, but having trouble with the my.arlo.com web portal on both Windows and Mac on the corporate network.

I log into the site fine, but when I press the play icon on a camera feed, after about 30 seconds of Connecting... it returns: Unexpected Error Occurred. Please try again.

I think it could be due to some filtering on the corporate network's proxy server.  Could you please advise if any ports or sites need to be whitelisted or if there is anything else that might need to be configured?

Thanks!

MODEL: ARLO ULTRA 2

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@jguerdat wrote:

AFAIK, it's simply my.arlo.com on ports 80, 123 and 443.

These are ports used by the base and cameras.

All you should need to use the web app is 443 (the standard https port).  This is already open (as is port 80), since you can browse the web. 123 is ntp, that is only needed to synchronize time in the bases and wifi-connected cameras.

I am wondering if there might be a web proxy in the corporate edge router that is causing this problem - or maybe internet security software running on the corporate PCs.  

Whatever it is, I don't think whitelisting ports would solve it (and I doubt the corporate security folks would be comfortable doing that).  Whitelisting URLs in the corporate firewall might work, but it might be hard to get the full list - the web ui traffic might not all be routed through my.arlo.com. 

Does this only happen with live streaming, or is it also happening when you are playing recordings?

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
FlyingDogs
Aspirant
Aspirant

I can confirm it's the corporate network - if I use my phone as a hotspot the my arlo web portal works fine on the same PC/Mac.

Greatly appreciate if anyone could advise which sites / ports would need to be whitelisted on the corporate network.

Thanks!

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@jguerdat wrote:

These are ports used by the base and cameras.

All you should need to use the web app is 443 (the standard https port).  This is already open (as is port 80), since you can browse the web. 123 is ntp, that is only needed to synchronize time in the bases and wifi-connected cameras.

I am wondering if there might be a web proxy in the corporate edge router that is causing this problem - or maybe internet security software running on the corporate PCs.  

Whatever it is, I don't think whitelisting ports would solve it (and I doubt the corporate security folks would be comfortable doing that).  Whitelisting URLs in the corporate firewall might work, but it might be hard to get the full list - the web ui traffic might not all be routed through my.arlo.com. 

Does this only happen with live streaming, or is it also happening when you are playing recordings?

SinisterStairs
Apprentice
Apprentice

The actual video stream from my.arlo.com comes from other servers*; so as @StephenB  suggested, the corporate firewall might be blocking those (figuratively) unknown servers.

* arlostreamingxxx-yy-prod. wowza. arlo. com, as one of likely hundreds of examples, which is hosted by AWS

FlyingDogs
Aspirant
Aspirant

I suspect you are right.  Viewing recordings on my.arlo.com works perfectly. But live footage does not, so like you said, it's likely going through some unknown URL.

Thanks for the insight 🙂

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@FlyingDogs wrote:

I suspect you are right.  Viewing recordings on my.arlo.com works perfectly. But live footage does not, so like you said, it's likely going through some unknown URL.

You could use the developer tools built into the browser to see where it is going. 

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation