Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Hardwired Ultra 2

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
njc2002
Tutor
Tutor

Generally when a lithium-ion battery(e.g. mobile phone) is left on the charger continuously the battery will get damaged eventually. Is there a similar risk of battery damage and/or reducing its life if the Ultra 2 camera is hardwired?

Or does arlo uses a different technology where battery life is unaffected despite being connected to mains all the time?

What is better: hardwired or V5600 Solar panel?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@njc2002 wrote:

Is there a similar risk of battery damage and/or reducing its life if the Ultra 2 camera is hardwired?

Arlo says there isn't.  The batteries are lithium, but they have implemented overcharge protection (the batteries won't actually charge all the way to 100% when in the camera, although the app will report 100%).

@njc2002 wrote:

Hardwired gives you the foresight feature ( https://kb.arlo.com/000062053/How-does-the-Foresight-feature-work-on-my-Arlo-camera ) and is required if you are getting the CVR subscription.

The solar panel trickle-charges the battery.  It can still run down if there isn't enough sun, and or if the temperature is too cold (the battery won't charge below 0 C).

If you have a suitable power outlet near the camera, then I'd suggest hardwiring.

FWIW, I hardwire one camera, and have one connected to a solar panel.  The others are just on battery.  I've been doing this for some years, and haven't had any battery issues with either the hardwired camera or the one connected to the solar panel.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@njc2002 wrote:

Is there a similar risk of battery damage and/or reducing its life if the Ultra 2 camera is hardwired?

Arlo says there isn't.  The batteries are lithium, but they have implemented overcharge protection (the batteries won't actually charge all the way to 100% when in the camera, although the app will report 100%).

@njc2002 wrote:

Hardwired gives you the foresight feature ( https://kb.arlo.com/000062053/How-does-the-Foresight-feature-work-on-my-Arlo-camera ) and is required if you are getting the CVR subscription.

The solar panel trickle-charges the battery.  It can still run down if there isn't enough sun, and or if the temperature is too cold (the battery won't charge below 0 C).

If you have a suitable power outlet near the camera, then I'd suggest hardwiring.

FWIW, I hardwire one camera, and have one connected to a solar panel.  The others are just on battery.  I've been doing this for some years, and haven't had any battery issues with either the hardwired camera or the one connected to the solar panel.

njc2002
Tutor
Tutor

Thank you, Stephen. 

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation