Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

HELP Arlo VMB5000 AND ULTRA 2 CAMERAS WILL NOT CONNECT TO ARLO APP

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
DSmitty444
Aspirant
Aspirant

Arlo VMB5000 AND ULTRA 2 CAMERAS WILL NOT CONNECT TO ARLO APP Model VMS5340-2BNAS, 

I have followed all the instructions and gone through the troubleshooting tips. Chatted with Support but the Arlo hub and cameras DO NOT connect to the ARLO app. The camera views and sound are great….the cameras are connected to the hub, the hub is connected to the WIFI and I can see the LIVE video in the Apple HomeKit App. I went to Best Buy and they gave me a replacement hub. Arlo says the solution is to contact router support to open ports 80 and 443 but the ISP said that I have a netted service, it’s not a public IP address and they don’t manage ports. My tech friend came over and:

Disabled 5ghz and only used 2.4ghz

Opened ALL ports (TCP, UDP, IP)

Turned off ALL security on routers including Firewalls

Used Apple & Android in airplane mode

replaced Ethernet cables

reset router

reset Arlo

opened ports 80 & 443, configured port

Forwarding for 80 & 443, configured port

triggering for 80 & 443

tried a different router and went through all of the above steps. 

I have multiple smart devices in my home and have never had any issues with connecting them. 

Does anyone have another solution?

7 REPLIES 7
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@DSmitty444 wrote:

Arlo says the solution is to contact router support to open ports 80 and 443

Probably that means they've run out of other things to try.

If you have an enterprise-grade firewall, then there could be a proxy on the connection path.  That can get in the way.  But home routers generally just rely on a NAT firewall, which works fine.  If the ports are actually blocked, you wouldn't be able to browse the web.

@DSmitty444 wrote:

The camera views and sound are great….the cameras are connected to the hub, the hub is connected to the WIFI and I can see the LIVE video in the Apple HomeKit App. 

Which says that the 

• cameras and base were successfully onboarded to your account
  • the base and cameras are functioning properly (not offline, etc).

Though the hub is connected via ethernet, and not wifi.

1. When you say "will not connect to the app", are you talking specifically about livestreaming?
  2. If so, are you seeing library recordings in the app?  
  3. Are you getting different results on a PC (my.arlo.com)

DSmitty444
Aspirant
Aspirant

Responses to @StephenB 

Though the hub is connected via ethernet, and not wifi. Right

1. When you say "will not connect to the app", are you talking specifically about livestreaming? I am talking about the Arlo app. The app searches and never finds any Arlo devices. I have live-streaming on the Apple HomeKit app though.
  2. If so, are you seeing library recordings in the app?  No. Since the Arlo app can’t find any of my devices. 
  3. Are you getting different results on a PC (my.arlo.com). Same results.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@DSmitty444 wrote:

1. When you say "will not connect to the app", are you talking specifically about livestreaming? I am talking about the Arlo app. The app searches and never finds any Arlo devices. I have live-streaming on the Apple HomeKit app though.
  2. If so, are you seeing library recordings in the app?  No. Since the Arlo app can’t find any of my devices. 
  3. Are you getting different results on a PC (my.arlo.com). Same results.

This sounds like you might have onboarded the cameras to a different account.

DSmitty444
Aspirant
Aspirant

They are not onboarded to a different account. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

Did you remove them from the account and then try to re-onboard them when you did the reset of the base (or cameras)?

DSmitty444
Aspirant
Aspirant

They have never been added to my Arlo account. I have removed them from the Home app and tried to add them to the Arlo app but it never can find any devices.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@DSmitty444 wrote:

They have never been added to my Arlo account. 

If that is the case, then you wouldn't have been able to see live video in homekit.

So something very unexplained here.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation