Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
pwaggs
Apprentice
Apprentice

I am following these directions but the SD card remains secure inside of the base. I have to reset the device and everything fires up again, but I have not been able to eject my SD card. The only reason I want to eject my SD card is to verify the 4K recording is stored locally because apparently that is the only place you can see it unless you are live streaming.

To view videos saved on a local storage device:

1. Launch the Arlo app or log in to your Arlo account at my.arlo.com.
  2. Tap or click Settings > My Devices.
  3. Select an Arlo SmartHub or base station.
  4. Tap or click Storage Settings > Safely Eject [storage device].
  5. Wait for the in-app unmounting message to close, then remove the local storage device from your SmartHub or base station.
    Warning: Do not interrupt power to the Arlo SmartHub or base station, and do not remove the local storage device while the in-app unmounting message is displayed.
  6. Insert the local storage device into the appropriate slot on your computer.
  7. Wait for the local storage device to appear in the available drives on your computer, then open the drive folder to view the files on your local storage device.
  8. Open the Arlo folder.
    Recorded videos are saved in the Arlo folder in MP4 format.
    Note: If you are unable to play MP4 files on your computer, update your media player software to the latest version and try again. You can also download a free universal multimedia player, such as VLC.
6 REPLIES 6
pwaggs
Apprentice
Apprentice

Some additional information as people seem to think that I am asking the impossible.

At the end of the day, what I want to be able to do is to view any recorded clip by my Alro Ultra 2 cameras at 4K resolution. Currently (and I am still on my 90 day included free plan), when I view any recorded video, from the cloud or the SD card, the resolution is 1920 X 1072 which is 1080p.

The Arlo knowledge base documentation says that with the Ultra 2, one should be able to insert a Micro SD card and use that card as direct storage WITHOUT requiring the user to eject the card to play clips in another computer.

What is Direct Storage Access and how do I use it?

This article applies to:

VMB4540  VMB5000 

Direct Storage Access is the perfect solution if you’re looking for a convenient way to access videos stored locally on your Arlo SmartHub. Instead of removing the microSD card or USB storage device and plugging it into your computer to view recordings, Direct Storage Access enables a fast way to directly view recordings through the Arlo App at the full resolution of your Ultra or Pro camera. When you use Direct Storage Access, your Arlo recordings never touch the Arlo cloud, providing seamless point-to-point access.

However, I am still getting the 1080p resolution and nowhere near 4K (3840 x 2160 or 4096 x 2160).

So, I thought that I would eject the SD card and look at what resolution the locally stored clips are actually recorded at...but I cannot eject the MicroSD card. I have tried both the mobile app and the desktop browser to no avail. I select eject like in the process below and the led on the SmartHub changes color but the SD card is just where it was, tucked inside.

Which brings me back to where I was originally. 

Where on the Arlo system are the 4k video clips stores and where can I download them from. Right now I only see a 4K icon in the live view but any downloaded clip is actually 1080p.

dcfox1
Master
Master

I have pro3 but even when safely ejecting USB in app it make it stop recording if it is as to not corrupt it. I still have to pull it out. On SD cards I always needed to push it in and then it ejects, not sure if you tried that. 

You can see the recording via the app in library without removing the card if you have the VMB4540 or VMB500. As for the resolution I can't comment on that. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Note that using the "Safely eject the SD card" only unmounts the card from the operating system the hub uses. You then have to physically remove the card by pushing it in a bit and then letting it pop out so you can remove it. The eject command does not eject the card from the hub.

pwaggs
Apprentice
Apprentice

Pressed harder on my MicroSD. Nothing happened. It did not budge. I grabbed a small flathead screwdriver with a rubber tip and pressed the MicroSD and the entire MicroSD port came out of the little slot. A few little tiny springs, a piece of sticky rubber and two small metal brackets. There is also some other things rattling around inside the SmartHub casing. Great!

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @pwaggs

Please contact the Support Team to further investigate this issue. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link. Arlo Tech Support

pwaggs
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thanks. I opened up a case. I am hoping they will just swap out the SmartHub. Interestingly when I did manage to shake the MicroSD card out of there, it said that it was not formatted. So I never even got to test the resolution of the locally stored files.

Anyway, I am no longer able to locally store files with my current SmartHub. Hopefully, I'll have a working one by the end of the week.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation