Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Can an ultra 2 4k package (or any arlo package) with hub be used if wi fi is switched off?

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
GM8
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hi. New to Arlo products. Would appreciate some advice pls. Can an ultra 2 4k package (or any arlo package) with hub be used if wi fi is switched off? Our wi fi is normally turned off at night. Any help would be great. Thanks.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@GM8 wrote:
Hi. New to Arlo products. Would appreciate some advice pls. Can an ultra 2 4k package (or any arlo package) with hub be used if wi fi is switched off? Our wi fi is normally turned off at night. Any help would be great. Thanks.

The ultra cameras connect to a smarthub over a closed wifi network (hosted by the smarthub).  So you can turn off your home wifi.

The smarthub does need an internet connection (via ethernet to your router).

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Dannybear
Master
Master
The base station uses its own closed wifi network to communicate to the cameras but still requires to be connected to the local router by Ethernet cable. It requires 24/7 access to the internet for recordings to be saved on the cloud and backup storage.

Why is the local wifi being turned off at night? Is this your own equipment that is being turned off?

The arlo go camera can use mobile cellular connection but is limited to a small number of mobile providers.

All model cameras that came after the pro2 require a subscription plan to record to the cloud unless you go only with direct local storage access which has limitations.

The arlo mobile app is also required unless using desktop pc to access the arlo web portal with a browser.
GM8
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thank you very much Dannybear. Exactly the information I was searching for. We can now buy an Arlo Ultra 2 bundle with confidence. Thanks again.
Dannybear
Master
Master
I wish I had your confidence when I purchased my pro2 cameras, had to spend a lot of time reading this forum to get answers.

Some things to be aware of, hence asking the questions you have not replied to. E.g. when you’re local wifi starts up in the morning it could interfere with the arlo base station wifi rendering the cameras offline until you restart the Base station.
GM8
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thanks Dannybear.
I've researched almost every brand of POE & wireless systems over the past 12 months. The most impressive is the Reolink RLK-812B4. However, the ease and convenience of the Arlo ultra 2 is preferable. Our concern was wi fi on overnight with very young kids sleeping nearby. Hence the original question.
I will keep your advice in mind and restart the base station if required.
Thanks again for all your help.
Dannybear
Master
Master
Good, I was concerned that you were using a community wifi without security.

Going forward if it is an issue with interference you can set the wifi channel on the router wifi and then the base station wifi will match channels when restarted.
Keep the base at least 4ft away from the router to minimise wifi overload.
If you navigate within this forum to the board page for the camera you have lots of links to tech stuff.

GM8
Aspirant
Aspirant
Great to know. Thanks again. I'll investigate these forums more thoroughly. Again, thank you kindly.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@GM8 wrote:

The ultra cameras connect to a smarthub over a closed wifi network (hosted by the smarthub).  So you can turn off your home wifi.

The smarthub does need an internet connection (via ethernet to your router).

GM8
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thanks Stephen.
Great group support here. Appreciated.
Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation