Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Can I mount it on standard outside weatherproof electrical box?

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
pwaggs
Apprentice
Apprentice

I have three outside motion detecting security lights that are already in use at my house. They were hardwired years ago and are mounter to outside weatherproof electrical boxes. The kind that you find at Home Depot or Lowes:

Commercial Electric 3/4 in. 5-Holes 4 in. Round Weatherproof Box, Gray-WRB575G - The Home Depot

Can I simply mount my Arlo Ultra 2 cameras to those existing boxes as they already have power to them? I have been looking through the Arlo accessories and mounting options, but I do not see anything. This cannot be a unique use case.

4 REPLIES 4
LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

I did a couple of mine by adding a weatherproof plug in into the light box to plug the arlo charger into, been fine for more than a year

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

To be clear, you can't wire the cameras directly to the power in the box. You have to use a USB charger for the cameras (5VDC, 2A).

pwaggs
Apprentice
Apprentice

I am thinking about pulling the old junction boxes off and then just installing these:

Leviton 15 Amp Decora Type A and C USB Charger Tamper-Resistant Outlet, White-R02-T5633-0BW - The Ho...

I would mount them in a weatherproof outlet box and then just be done with it. Plug the USB in and then magnetically attach the camera. 

It simply makes no sense to deal with charging batteries when there is power right there.

pwaggs
Apprentice
Apprentice

I might check this out. Looks ideal

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation