Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Base station file tagging

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
pwaggs
Apprentice
Apprentice

I just realized this weekend when I was looking for some old clips that none of the base station clips have any sort of tagging associated with them and are all simply stored as 'motion' clips. So if I know that I am looking for an animal or person clip, I cannot filter by animal or person. Aghhh...

It just seems like a little shortcoming, another one, to the robustness of the system.

I'll put this up there with "Why on earth are my Arlo doorbell clips not stored on the base station?"

3 REPLIES 3
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Do you have a subscription? Smart won't work without one. Also, check your settings in Settings, Smart Notifications.

pwaggs
Apprentice
Apprentice

I have a subscription. I can see and sort the cloud clips by tags, but I cannot sort the locally stored clips by their associated tags. This would be helpful as obviously the cloud storage is limited and it auto deletes older files (not very old actually). Whereas you keep local files until you run out of storage. I have been running my system for six months now and really just crossed 90GB on my local system which has a 256GB capacity. However, searching those files is a mess, because, Arlo provides nothing in the way of searchable data and of course there is no thumbnail.

As for my other comment about the doorbell, I completely understand that the doorbell is running off of my home wifi. I just think that if Arlo were truly a robust system, when I powered on the base station for my Ultra 2's, the system should be smart enough to recognize that there is an Arlo doorbell in the ecosystem and ask me if I want to pull that into the fold to be managed through the base station. Thereby allowing the user to locally capture the recordings and not simply rely on cloud services. 

Again, as I said in my six month review. The system is 'fine' it is just not good. There are many things that it does 'fine' that simply need that one extra step to make them good or great.

We will see. There has been SLOW signs of evolution in the six months I have been up and running.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@pwaggs wrote: I can see and sort the cloud clips by tags, but I cannot sort the locally stored clips by their associated tags.

Correct.  It would be nice if the base could apply the cloud tag (if you had a subscription on the camera).  And it would be nice if manual recordings were also stored locally.

@pwaggs wrote:

I just think that if Arlo were truly a robust system, when I powered on the base station for my Ultra 2's, the system should be smart enough to recognize that there is an Arlo doorbell in the ecosystem and ask me if I want to pull that into the fold to be managed through the base station. Thereby allowing the user to locally capture the recordings and not simply rely on cloud services. 

Arlo has said that they are planning to add the ability to connect the wirefree doorbell to the base - though they haven't announced a date. 

FWIW, I agree that feature should have been in the wirefree doorbell when first released.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation