Arlo Ultra 2 cameras offline issue seems remedied, mine are back online

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
martincc
Luminary
Luminary

To my surprise, today an unprecedented notice from Arlo appeared as I logged into my Arlo app to check my cameras. It was a message from Arlo to notify me: 1. my Arlo Ultra 2 cameras could be off line, and 2. the message had a link to the Arlo website with instructions about how to remedy this.

Apparently Arlo Engineering has come up with a remedy, I hope.

The remedy entails removing the affected Ultra 2 camera from the 'Devices'. Resetting the Ultra 2 camera to factory defaults. Insuring the battery is charged (reset button pushed until proper feedback shows on the camera, the battery pulled out to aid the reset, then battery is reinstalled), then by following the illustrated prompts the Base Station discovers the camera and re-installs it.  A critical part of the remedy is, right after installing the camera onto the Base Station, the app will prompt you to 'Update Firmware'; it will be best to either have a well-charged battery or to have the camera plugged into an Arlo power supply (all my cameras are on AC power, and with batteries) before selecting 'Yes' to update the firmware. Next one needs to rename the camera, set parameters, LED light on or off, detection zones, etc.

This is a nuisance for those of us who need ladders or other measures to reach our cameras. But this solution, while tedious, is not too complicated and for my cameras (so far) seems to have worked. My Ultra 2 cameras are back on-line, along with other Pro 2 and Pro 3's that I have in service - the Pro cameras were not affected by this outage.

While this outage should never have happened in the first place, and the company's initial response was rubbish, I thank Arlo and hope the company will learn lessons, and will become better for having had this experience.

Martin

3 REPLIES 3
Dgmi
Apprentice
Apprentice

yaayyy! only took them 3 days

were your cameras still offline or did you already get them back online prior to getting the notice?
I didn’t get any notices/alerts when logging in.

martincc
Luminary
Luminary

My Ultra 2's have been offline since last week when their firmware update backfired. I did not want to interfere with any final fix released by Arlo, so I had not tampered much (checked batteries, etc. but no reset) with my cameras since I first discovered them out. Even after I finally remembered how to call Arlo Tech Support, I declined to jump any hoops for them as I preferred to wait and not be their 'beta tester'.

Today, when I logged in to check my Arlo app, the Ultra 2's were offline and I was greeted by the message from Arlo Co. referring me to a web page with the fixes.

A critical part of the remedy that I did not mention was, right after installing the camera onto the Base Station the app will prompt you to 'Update Firmware'; it will be best to either have a well-charged battery or to have the camera plugged into an Arlo power supply (all my cameras are on AC power, and with batteries) before selecting 'Yes' to update the firmware. All my Arlo cameras seem to be back to normal now.

Dgmi
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thank you.

I might try that approach next time (waiting for them to send a fix).  we all know it’s bound to happen again in next firmware release.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation