Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Ultra 2 WiFi connectivity range

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
jengio77
Guide
Guide

Hi,

I read that the Arlo Ultra 2 camera increased WiFi connectivity range, but due to regulatory restrictions, this feature is not available in the EU. Really? This is an hardware upgrade or not?

This limitation is in the firmware or in some configuration parameters?

There are some workaround for this?

Regards

8 REPLIES 8
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@jengio77 wrote:

I read that the Arlo Ultra 2 camera increased WiFi connectivity range, but due to regulatory restrictions, this feature is not available in the EU. Really?

WiFi power limits vary by country - and the EU generally has much lower power limits than many countries (including USA, Canada, Australia).

jengio77
Guide
Guide

Ok thank you,

but the country are set in hardware, firmware or some confgiuration?

If I buy the camera in the US, the camera born with this limitation?

Regards

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@jengio77 wrote:

but the country are set in hardware, firmware or some confgiuration?

If I buy the camera in the US, the camera born with this limitation?

Generally the wifi chips support all countries, and are provisioned via firmware.

I don't know if Arlo handles this dynamically (using their knowledge of your location), or if just depends on the country of sale.

jengio77
Guide
Guide

Support says me that if I move to a new country I can change my Arlo profile country.

But if I create for example a new profile, country is not a mandatory field.

Anyone could confirm how country setup works?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@jengio77 wrote:

Support says me that if I move to a new country I can change my Arlo profile country.

But if I create for example a new profile, country is not a mandatory field.

Anyone could confirm how country setup works?

I don't know that procedure, or if it would change your wifi profile if you actually haven't moved.

I do want to mention that exceeding your country's power limits is illegal in most countries.  Though I don't think there is much risk of an individual getting caught and prosecuted - there's more risk for a manufacturer who exceeds the power limits in the products they sell.

jengio77
Guide
Guide

I don't want to break the laws,

I just wanted to know if I truly change residence to another country, the restrictions will remain.

The power limitation of the wifi is linked to the user profile or is it in the camera because it was purchased in Europe and not in the USA?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@jengio77 wrote:

The power limitation of the wifi is linked to the user profile or is it in the camera because it was purchased in Europe and not in the USA?

@JamesC or @Mark-V should be able to track this down for you.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

The place of purchase is less relevant than where the camera is being used. I don't have exact details but I believe the cameras geography determines the power limits in question, meaning, cameras located in the EU adhere to EU regulations regardless of where they were purchased. The safe rule of thumb is to only purchase and use Arlo products that are available in your country. This ensures they are designed for use specifically for your country and all included equipment, warranties and specifications meet the requirements for that geography.

JamesC

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation