Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
LC596
Star
Star

I have 6 of the Arlo Ultra 2 cameras and I’m getting really tired of changing the batteries 1-2 times a week!

So, I wanted to hard wire them into the attic. I would purchase the 25’ outdoor wires and run them to the center of the house where the attic access is located. 

I didn’t want to use the USB power adapter, because for 6 plugs it would have to be a surge protector type power adapter.

So, I was thinking about a USB hub with 6 connections that could plug into an extension cord to our plug in the attic.

I did find one,  KingFuture,  that has the 10 USB hub ports.

8 ports are  5v@2.4A  plus 2 ports are 5v@1a

This USB hub also has overcharge protection, over voltage protection, over current protection and advanced temperature control.

Is that okay to have it 2.4A instead of the 5v@2A that the camera requires? It won’t blow up the cameras will it ?

Please let me know if this set up will work?

9 REPLIES 9
DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

Are you happy with recharging the batteries  so often, I would not.

The potential damage to the camera would be over voltage so the 5vdc rating is not an issue. The amperage rating of the adapter is above the camera value so no risk to the charge adapter either.

Would suggest checking that the multiple port adapter can handle multiple devices connected at the same time. This might be a problem if all the cameras go flat during a power outage and all want to charge at the same time when it returns.

Also check the temperature rating of the adapter since it can get very warm in the attic during summer.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@LC596 wrote:

Please let me know if this set up will work?

Is it this one:?

The product info says "Total Output: 5V 50W 12A(Max)"  Something a bit off with that spec, as 5V and 12A should translate to 60W.  But there are several clones of this model, and they all say 50W.

It likely will work, especially if the batteries remain in the cameras -  but you could look for one that has max power of 60 watts.  A few options would be, 

LC596
Star
Star

The first USB Hub is the one that I looked at originally and thought it might work.

I received a response from someone else stating that “if” I had a power outage that there might not be enough power, 50W, to charge all 6 of the cameras at once and that that a 60W USB hub would be better. 

What about the 12A, is that the total Amp for the whole charger? Doesn’t each of the cameras require 2A? 6 x 2A = 12A, right? So, there is no wiggle room if I add more cameras?

I also saw someone that said you don’t have to use the batteries and just connect directly to power. Is that true?

Plus, on top of it yesterday, I attempted to add a camera to the system to test if direct power, no battery would work and it wouldn’t connect. I hit the reset button, on the hub for 5 secs and the button on the bottom of the camera I held forever, but it never connected. I thought that there was a manual way of doing this, where you put in the code in the inside of the camera?

So, I disconnected all the wires from the Arlo hub and from the router. Reconnected the WiFi wire to the router, then to Arlo hub and then reconnected the power.

Now, the hub is blinking orange since last night. And cameras are all black. When I did the reset for 5 secs on the hub, did I completely lose all my info on the hub?

Sorry, I’m new at this and not sure what the cameras need to be efficient.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@LC596 wrote:

What about the 12A, is that the total Amp for the whole charger? 

Both the 12A and the 50W apply to the entire charger.  But 50W at 5 volts  is 10A of total power, so there is a discrepancy in the charger spec.

However you explain the discrepancy, the charger can't deliver all the power to all the ports at the same time.  8*2.4 + 2*1 = 14A.  So less then either possible interpretation of the spec.

@LC596 wrote:

So, there is no wiggle room if I add more cameras?

I also saw someone that said you don’t have to use the batteries and just connect directly to power. Is that true?

There's nothing really special about the charger you are looking at, so I personally would just get one that does 60W instead, since that will deliver 2A to all the cameras at the same time.

You can remove the batteries, but I don't recommend it. The cameras shouldn't need 2A all the time, so if you leave the batteries in, the charger should be able to keep up.  Without the batteries, it might not deliver enough power if too many cameras are active at the same time. 

Plus if there are any glitches in the power coming out of the charger, then the cameras might reboot on you if you don't have the batteries inserted.

FWIW, if do you find the charger can't keep up, you can just add a second charger and split the load.  

@LC596 wrote:

Plus, on top of it yesterday, I attempted to add a camera to the system to test if direct power, no battery would work and it wouldn’t connect. I hit the reset button, on the hub for 5 secs and the button on the bottom of the camera I held forever, but it never connected. I thought that there was a manual way of doing this, where you put in the code in the inside of the camera?

Now, the hub is blinking orange since last night. And cameras are all black. 

Read this:

You need to remove the hub from the account when you reset it.  So you'll need to do that now, and then add all the cameras back.  Do this with the batteries in. 

If you want to test w/o them, then take out the battery, and connect up the AC power.  If the camera doesn't come on line, then just put the battery back in, and see if it works.

LC596
Star
Star

This one is 60w right? It has 12 ports…

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08RJ8MMD3

My problem now is having to reset everything back to start after, I guess, accidentally reset the hub. Darn!!
It’s been raining off/on for the last two days and supposed to rain until next Wednesday!

LC596
Star
Star

I’m on Arlo Secure app, do I delete the app also and just work from a computer to re-add the hub and cameras?

Or do I also need to delete all the cameras from the app and start adding them back through the app?

sorry, it’s been almost a year since I started all this.

LC596
Star
Star

I’m I stuck getting one of these type of power strips?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BC14BV46/ref=sspa_dk_detail_0?pd_rd_i=B0BBV7VZGC&pd_rd_w=gFDAT&content-i...

or maybe just a regular power strip without the USB?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@LC596 wrote:

I’m on Arlo Secure app, do I delete the app also and just work from a computer to re-add the hub and cameras?

Or do I also need to delete all the cameras from the app and start adding them back through the app?

No need to delete the app.  While removing the base from the account should be enough, I suggest removing the cameras first, and then the base.

You can add them back either from the app or the computer.  Generally I use the computer.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@LC596 wrote:

This one is 60w right? It has 12 ports…

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08RJ8MMD3

Yes, as it says:

12 ports pump out 60W

@LC596 wrote:

I’m stuck getting one of these type of power strips?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BC14BV46/ref=sspa_dk_detail_0?pd_rd_i=B0BBV7VZGC&pd_rd_w=gFDAT&content-i...

or maybe just a regular power strip without the USB?

If you get this power strip, then you might not need the separate charger at all.

It depends on the total power that the power strip can deliver to the USB ports - Amazon doesn't say how much that is, so there is no easy way to tell.

So you could just try it, or just get a power strip w/o any USB ports.  If it doesn't keep the cameras running, you could just buy a charger and plug it in later on.

One disadvantage of this one is that you will need to manually turn it back on after the power fails.  Another reason to keep the batteries inside the cameras, as the power might fail when you are away.  In any event, the power strip would need to be accessible.

An integrated circuit breaker will trip off automatically to protect your devices while the power overloads.

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation